No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lavorazione Arte Murano, one apparent source  (Read 24542 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Lavorazione Arte Murano, one apparent source
« on: January 09, 2010, 08:22:29 PM »
I was looking through my old pictures and stumbled on a Chirico vase that had a Lavorazione Arte Murano label on it. I located the company on the computer. It is in Naples. The site is http://www.vetreriechirico.com/. I checked the products page and found a couple of things that often show up with the Lavorazione label. I don't know that Chirico makes all the glass that has the label, but it apparently makes some of it.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Lavorazione Arte Murano, one apparent source
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 10:07:47 PM »
A Naples company would never use a Murano sticker on it. But the trading companies in Murano would not have any problem buying out of Murano and adding their own stickers.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 11:23:22 PM »
Frank, the newer labels that say "Arte Murano" are generally not made in Murano. For example, ICET Arte Murano is made in Venezuela. The Arte Murano of the labels from the 1970s and later mean that the glass is in the style of Murano, but are not made there. Some of the old Murano paper labels from the 1950s and before had the words Arte Murano on them, but they are Muranese. It gets confusing. The Lavorazione labels don't make any claims other than the pieces are made in Italy.

Labels and descriptions of vases can be misleading. For example, there is an abundance of "Italian design" vases on eBay that are made in China. Maybe someone named Giorgio who was born in Florence before moving to China designed them. They would be an Italian design, even though they had nothing to do with Italy.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 11:35:34 PM »
Of course and not limited to 'Murano' either. It is just the marketing folks trying to add the cachet of a 'name'. It is often illegal, particularly where the label says made in xxx. Interstingly Edinburgh Crystal at some point were more honest and used Edinburgh International labels - but rarely said exactly where the pieces were made. And of course some of their paperweights were outsourced to be made actually in Murano. Fun isn't it  ::)

Offline Murano Glass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Italy
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 03:48:45 PM »
Arte di Murano has a sister company based close to Naples. The main purpose is to help the main production made in Murano (Venice)...

Murano Glass Gallery | Murano Glass |Murano glas vase | Glass Ornaments |Murano glas kaufen | Murano glas tiere | Murano glas clown | Murano drinking glasses

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 08:44:21 PM »
Interesting, I just found a hyacinth vase with this same label on, but I'm guessing it was made in a much later date. Perhaps the style of decoration might help?
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 02:37:06 PM »
That looks very similar decor to lots of stuff with this label I've seen in TKMaxx.
Not in that form though.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Feline

• Members
  • Happiness
    • Netherlands
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 01:28:43 PM »
The last label belongs to the same company which was founded in Murano and the ownership changed in the last forty years. Only in the last 20 years the furnace considerably grew and started to make not only chandeliers and vases but also figurines, glasses and small objects. 
Never forget more than 700 years of Italian Glass history, this is the secret!
Murano glass just for fun!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand