No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Allan Scott 'Deacons' Dahlia paperweight?  (Read 11385 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Allan Scott 'Deacons' Dahlia paperweight?
« on: March 08, 2005, 02:04:20 PM »
Hi Frank (& Kevin),

Having stated catagorically in another thread that I had just acquired a Dahlia paperweight identical to the one shown on your page about Allan Scott, Frank, I thought I had better check if in fact I am right!   :oops:  

The thing which made me make my first enthusiastic identification was the picture, which seems indeed to be indentical.  However, there is no identifying J cane of any sort in my weight.  Did all 'J' (or 'Jay') Glass weights have canes with J or A or both?  

To help, I have taken a couple of pics of the weight.  I was going to email them to Allan Scott via his website, but he seems to have removed the email link.  

http://tinypic.com/21wk0z  http://tinypic.com/21wk20

Please can you tell me if you think mine really is a genuine Allan Scott Deacons Dahlia?  Thanks  :?

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 02:49:28 PM »
Whoever the maker pretty damn tasty for the price you "nicked" it at.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 03:27:00 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
Whoever the maker pretty damn tasty for the price you "nicked" it at.

I thought so too!   :twisted:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Leni
Leni

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 08:54:41 PM »
Leni,

The weight is certainly a "match" to the one in Frank's pages, listed as "Jay" glass 1982. As the photos are copyrighted to Allan Scott, I take it that the info about it being a "Jay" weight would be ok.

But ... as far as I am aware all "Jay" weights had a "J" cane!

Although the end of John Deacons' "Jay" Glass period was early 83, the only lists of J weights I have seen (in John Simmonds book Paperweights From Great Britain 1930-2000) ends at 1981, so info on the Dahlia weight is not given.

Looks like conact with Allan Scott, one way or another, (or maybe John Deacons) will be the only way to find out anout this unsigned "Jay" weight
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 08:56:46 PM »
I have asked Allan to visit this thread when gets a chance.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 10:47:37 PM »
Quote from: "Frank"
I have asked Allan to visit this thread when gets a chance.

Gosh!  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Thanks, Frank!   :shock:  :oops:   :D :roll:

Leni
Leni

Allan scott

Dahlia P/weight
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 01:06:49 PM »
Hi Leni,
            I have a great problem with getting my E.mails just now as I am only on dial-up at the moment untill broadband arrives in my village.My own website is not up & running yet.I got an e.mail from Frank Andrews about the Dahlia and I can confirm that it is a J.Glass P/weight.I have to admit that I cant remember if these weights had a signature cane in as the flowers were made in one piece and had to be laid down immediately from the time I finished the last leaf on to a hot plate so John Deacons could pick it up with the hot gather of glass as soon as my hand was out of the way.This was to prevent the flower from cracking.It would of been hard to get a cane into the design with this method but my mother still has one of the dahlia weights so I will check it out and post another reply here for you.If you need to contact me for anything else ,E.mail me on allan.scott2@tesco.net  ,but like I said I do have a problem with the E.mails just now,especially sending them so do not worry if I am slow to reply.I am always happy to help collectors and anybody interested in paperweights.
                     Allan :lol:

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 01:30:49 PM »
Gosh!  :shock:  Wow!  :shock:  Thanks so much Allan!  

I'm honoured and delighted to own the weight.  It's really beautiful!   :D

Leni (who really can't believe her luck!  :roll: )
Leni

Allan scott

Dahlia
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 04:36:34 PM »
Hi Leni,
                Thanks for the e.mail,I still cannot e.mail out though.I went to visit my mother only to realise that the Dahlia weight was actually mine and I had forgotten to unpack it from when I moved house,so it has been in my attic for  5 years..oops!.Anyway,my one has a blue "J" cane inserted in the middle of a concave ground base,I have had another look at your pictures and I cannot see enough detail of the base to se how yours is finished.If you could send a couple of different angled images and a description of the base to the e.mail adress I sent you I will try to solve the mystery.If nothing else,after looking at the pictures again,I can confirm that it is my lampwork and it is a J-Glass weight.In fact,I can tell you that there are not many of this design out there,I am sure we did not finish making all of the edition of 101.This is the first one of this design that I have heard of coming back on the market since we made them and it remains to this day my favourite J.Glass weight that I made,despite the problems it gave us to make. 8)
                                           Allan

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Dahlia
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 01:30:06 PM »
Quote from: "Allan scott"
my one has a blue "J" cane inserted in the middle of a concave ground base,I have had another look at your pictures and I cannot see enough detail of the base to se how yours is finished

Actually, mine seems rather 'un' finished!  :oops:

I'll send you the pics as requested to show what I mean.  There is a rather sharp, 'raw-looking' pontil mark which does not seem to have been ground down at all and as a result the weight doesn't quite stand flat.

I can confirm that it is my lampwork and it is a J-Glass weight.In fact,I can tell you that there are not many of this design out there,I am sure we did not finish making all of the edition of 101.This is the first one of this design that I have heard of coming back on the market since we made them and it remains to this day my favourite J.Glass weight that I made,despite the problems it gave us to make. 8)
                                           Allan

I am so pleased to hear that!  I do love it and think myself very lucky to have it.   :D  

Will be emailing pics to you Allan, and many thanks again for your help.

Leni
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand