No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paperweight Books  (Read 4291 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Paperweight Books
« on: March 10, 2005, 09:21:12 AM »
I've taken this topic off another thread about paperweights which was getting a little mixed up, where Ray said:
i caught the bug off Kev, now i've got about 8-10 book's on paperweights

Can you tell me which books you would recommend, Ray?  And you please, Kev?  

I have the basic Miller's 'Paperweights of the 19th & 20th Centuries' by Anne Metcalfe, 'Paperweights' by Sibylle Jargstorf and 'Paperweights of the World' by Monika Flemming & Peter Pommerencke, plus (of course  :roll: ) 'Paul J. Stankard - Homage to Nature' by Ulysses Grant Dietz.

Are there any others you would particularly suggest I should get?

Thanks   :D

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
Paperweight Books
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 09:56:27 AM »
hi Leni

the one i most trust is " antique french paperweights" by paul jokelson but these are a rare book only 2000 published that was back in 1955, my other trusted one is " identifying antique paperweights lampwork " by george n kulles, there my main ones, other good one's are and cheap " paperweights by pat reilly and all about paperweights by lawrence h selman you will find them on ebay at the mo
cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Paperweight Books
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 10:47:50 PM »
Leni,

As with all other "art forms", buying paperweight books depends on your own current focus. There are books on all sorts of "collectable" weights from all sorts of countries.

I suggest starting at the Sweetbriar Gallery booklist
http://www.sweetbriar.co.uk/booklist.php
They have a good supply, both second-hand and new.

However, other than Pat Reilly's Paperweights, which is an excellent guide (and I'm not just saying that because I know Pat from the Paperweight Club) you already have two of the best books for basics - Jargstorf's and Flemming / Pommerencke's.

Which way do you see your interest developing? Whichever way that goes, there are books to cover it - unless you choose to follow modern English studio work, for which I am not aware of any titles.

Finally, as a new PCC member (when you get your card) have you checked out the PCC diary on the website? Our guest speaker for 11th June is none other than Sibylle Jargstorf.
KevinH

Offline Leni

• Members
Paperweight Books
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 09:52:41 AM »
Quote from: "KevH"
Which way do you see your interest developing?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Not a clue!  You know my reputation for having a very eclectic glass collection!   :roll:

Have just bought the Reilly and the Selman books on eBay - thanks for the tip-off Ray  :wink:

Finally, as a new PCC member (when you get your card) have you checked out the PCC diary on the website? Our guest speaker for 11th June is none other than Sibylle Jargstorf.

Yes, I spotted that!   :shock:

Will put the date on my calender.  Many thanks for your help and advice, guys :D

Leni
Leni

Anonymous

Paperweight Books
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 10:07:02 AM »
Quote from: "Leni"
Quote from: "KevH"
Which way do you see your interest developing?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Not a clue!  You know my reputation for having a very eclectic glass collection!   :roll:

Leni

Ooooh now you're in trouble.....there are so many fabulous weights out there and nows probably a good time to be buying them.....hope your budget includes a self contained museum as well.........As I bug I think you'll find. as many others have to there cost. there aint no cure....just a desperate need for a daily fix.

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline Leni

• Members
Paperweight Books
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 10:24:35 AM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
there aint no cure....just a desperate need for a daily fix. Regards Gareth Morgan48

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Well, I always log on to eBay first thing every morning anyway, so I guess I've already caught the bug  :roll:

Friday mornings are the worst!  Pages and pages of new paperweights  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  AND the Victorian glass!  Four pages this morning!  :shock:   :roll:

Leni
Leni

Anonymous

Paperweight Books
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 10:30:23 AM »
Quote from: "Leni"
Quote from: "Anonymous"
there aint no cure....just a desperate need for a daily fix. Regards Gareth Morgan48

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Well, I always log on to eBay first thing every morning anyway, so I guess I've already caught the bug  :roll:

Friday mornings are the worst!  Pages and pages of new paperweights  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  AND the Victorian glass!  Four pages this morning!  :shock:   :roll:

Leni

Ooh thats sad....but rich coming from someone who got up at 3am to go to the loo and thought...yes why not...a couple of minutes will be ok to check whats new..........and then at 4.30...!!!!!!

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand