No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ITALIAN vs FRENCH Paperweights - Can they be Both?  (Read 3965 times)

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
ITALIAN vs FRENCH Paperweights - Can they be Both?
« on: February 27, 2005, 05:05:33 AM »
Hello everyone!
I have an unusual question.... Can these paperweights be both Italian Murano pieces and French pieces at the same time?

I ask because the 3 on the left have Italian labels, and the ones on the right have a French acid mark (fleur-de-lys) on the bottom of all 3. Some more blurred than the others...

So I ask, how can this be? I do see some diferences in the French marked pieces... They seem thicker and larger. More bulky than the 3 Italian ones. Also the Italian pieces seem more detailed (roosters crest for example). Saying this, you can see that the 2 Penguin paperweights are almost exact. Whats the deal???
Where Murano pieces imported to France and marked as French just because? Or was it the other way around?
I know for a fact that his pieces have been attributed as Murano in catalogues, so does anyone have an idea?
Would like to hear your opinions about this.
Thanks!
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 06:34:19 PM »
Personally, I would call these items "figurines" rather than paperweights but I have to admit that I have become influenced by the sort of things that are seen in so-called "important paperweight collections"  :lol:

Ok, I also admit that I have no idea about the items in question other than that I agree that "Italian" and "French" seems odd. But, as I think I have said elsewhere, it is a fact that some modern Murano outlets sell Chinese output amongst their own items - and perhaps actively encourage the Chinese paperweights as they can be purchased in bulk at very cheap rates. So, could there also be "an arrangement" with other countries, such as France, for the simpler, tourist gift-wares? Just a thought.

Another thought is that are we sure the etched "France" mark actually says "France" - could it possibly be "Venice"? Just becuase there is a fleur-de-lis mark does not necessarily mean it's French.
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 09:04:18 PM »
Perhaps the same design was made by two factories, one in each country.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 09:34:20 PM »
The Label says "An Original Creation By - KB - Made In Italy." I have collected many pieces with this label, and they are infact Vintage. Some pieces i've had before were made by Barovier & Toso, Barbini, and Seguso. This Figures in particular, at least when I first bought the 3 on the left, have been attributed to Barbini and Seguso in catalogues.
So when I bought this last 3, I was surprised by the mark underneath.
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 09:45:48 PM »
Quote from: "KevH"
Personally, I would call these items "figurines" rather than paperweights

Agreed....

Ok, I also admit that I have no idea about the items in question other than that I agree that "Italian" and "French" seems odd.... But, as I think I have said elsewhere, it is a fact that some modern Murano outlets sell Chinese output amongst their own items....

I have to say this are not new pieces, at least I know for a fact the ones with the KB labels are old, late 40's early 50's I believe. This is from experience with similar pieces and their attributions.

....could it possibly be "Venice"? Just becuase there is a fleur-de-lis mark does not necessarily mean it's French.

I never thought of that, if there are pieces marked Venice out there with the same mark, that would make alot of sense. Thanks for bringing that to the table. I had posted the fleur-de-lis mark mark on another topic, but no one responded to it, so I thought it was "France" not "Venice."

The pic I posted is as good as it gets, and the other 2 figures have the mark even more blurred, so it is hard to tell which of the 2 is true. If anyone out there has seen the same mark, please let us know!

Then again, I dont understand why would the 3 with the KB labels dont have the same mark underneath if it only says "Venice"?
Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 09:51:56 PM »
Quote from: "svazzo"
why would the 3 with the KB labels dont have the same mark underneath if it only says "Venice"?

Labels are cheaper than marks....

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 03:11:05 AM »
Hi Frank,
Guess that is true. I am just thinking as a buyer in this case.
I do have another weird thing that just happened. I bought a large Seguso Duck, clearly marked with the Seguso red scalloped label saying Made In - Murano - Italy, and pictured in books as Seguso 1950's, but I looked on the underside and there is a signature that says Peikin? in italics, at least that is what it looks like. I dont know what to think of it now.
Any thoughts of about it?
Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 07:21:10 AM »
Peking duck.  Seguso used to supply glass ducks to ****Le Tour d'Argent in Paris whose signature dish is - you feel this one coming! - duck!  The world is full of Seguso souvenir ducks - the **** variation of the happy meal.... 8)

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 10:32:54 AM »
Hi Ivo,
Is that for real?   :?
Seguso really signed ducks "Peking"?
Thought you were joking with me for a sec.
I have never seen or heard about it.... wow! I really did learn something today. My duck is 12 inches tall, so its hard for me to think of it as a souvenir. I have come across about 25 -30 Seguso ducks, and none have had the signature. Guess the US doesnt have as many signed.
Where they only signed like this for that particular restaurant?
Thanks for that great piece of information.
Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand