Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Unresolved Paperweight Questions

Paperweight ID please

(1/2) > >>

aa:
http://tinypic.com/2lcnr6

This is a paperweight I bought a few years ago. It is unsigned and the base has been taken to a matt polish - by which I mean it has been ground through various grits to a pre-polish finish. It is approximately 110mm high and 100mm wide. Does anyone have any ideas as to its origins?
Thanks
Adam

glasswizard:
Nice weight. Beyond the fact that a matt bottom seems to suggest Chinese I have no clue, but then I am just learning and am finding all this fascinating. Terry

RAY:
i think is made by Royal crest paperweights, very cheap to get and many people under rate them , me- i think there very well done

Anonymous:

--- Quote from: "RAY" ---i think is made by Royal crest paperweights, very cheap to get and many people under rate them , me- i think there very well done
--- End quote ---

I entirely agree with you regarding the underating of Royal Crest, however I have seen a good couple of hundred of them and for no other reason than instinct I dont get the impression that this is one of theirs. Would stress though its only my opinion.

Regards

Gareth

morgan48

aa:
Thanks for your comments. I don't think it is Chinese but I agree with Gareth that it doesn't look like Royal Crest. I bought it because I thought that the quality of workmanship was very high and it had the feel of some of the early Selkirk paperweights, although I don't think that it was Selkirk. You can't really see from the photograph but the top half, which has been made on a separate iron and then joined on before casing, is very fine and delicate. I tried making some paperweights a bit like this when I had a studio in Norfolk, (England), in the early nineties and the "fountain" at the top looks very much like the ones I was making. But it's not signed!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version