No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Murano Knockoff?  (Read 7827 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Is this a Murano Knockoff?
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 09:51:28 PM »
Quote from: KevH
How are we poor collectors supposed to know what we are buying? :(

TRY HERE  :twisted:

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 07:00:09 AM »
i am sure that the Weinfurtner Glashütte makes its own glass - however, this is a village full of souvenir shops riding along on the name using a retail label. Same goes for Murano - unless it says "made in" you cannot be 100% sure it was "made in" Murano - and even then - there is a village named Murano in Venezuela where they make simiolar style glass and use "made in Murano" labels.
Also reminds one of the village named Solingen in Japan....

Paul ADK

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 12:27:36 AM »
Quote from: "Ivo"
unless it says "made in" you cannot be 100% sure it was "made in" Murano - and even then - there is a village named Murano in Venezuela where they make similar style glass and use "made in Murano" labels.
Also reminds one of the village named Solingen in Japan....

Shades of USA!  I don't remember the whole story, but years ago, when the Japanese named a town "USA", (Made in USA) in a blatant attempt to deceive buyers, the United States was able to force them to cease and desist.  One would think that with all the trade agreements these days, Murano could protect it's trademark better.

Connie

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2005, 10:54:40 AM »
Shades of USA! I don't remember the whole story, but years ago, when the Japanese named a town "USA", (Made in USA) in a blatant attempt to deceive buyers, the United States was able to force them to cease and desist. One would think that with all the trade agreements these days, Murano could protect it's trademark better.

In the US, the McKinley Tariff Act of 1890 established (among other things) that all goods imported into the US must be marked with the country of origin.  Then in 1914 (I think) the tariff act was amended to all goods must be marked "Made in XXX".

So in the case of the Japanese town named USA, the goods imported into the US would still need to be marked Made in JAPAN.

If you look at the label on the Murano piece posted here by KevH, you will see that it is marked "Made in Murano ITALY" to comply with the US trade laws.

Going back to the Japanese town, the goods could have been marked "Made in USA JAPAN" but I can see how the US would have banned those goods because it would cause confusion to the American consumer and was also an attempt to misrepresent manufacturing origin of the good. (BTW - interesting story which I had not heard before and cannot confirm.)

Of course none of this applies if the item was not made for the US import market  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand