No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cloud glass bowl  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Cloud glass bowl
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 03:15:31 AM »
I rather think Bernard had a huge (10"?) dome at Harrogate a couple of years back. First big one I'd ever seen - amazing!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 07:41:04 AM »
Anne — That was a mere 8½" at that first Harrogate fair;  not a 10" monster.   An expert florist would forget conventional flowers — probably starting with something like pampas grass.   I would love to see one demonstrated.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 09:14:59 AM »
Re the supply of separate flower blocks etc, in the 1950s Sowerbys (certainly) and Davidsons (almost certainly) would supply anything anyone wanted.  This was easy because nothing was pre-packed in cartons, apart from a tiny number for mail order.  However, of course, we had no control over what retailers or wholesalers would supply in turn to their customers.

Adam D.

Offline ChrisStewart

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.cloudglass.com
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 06:56:59 PM »
Hi,

Your bowl is either a 706 or a 735 D. These are very similar in shape and size and very difficult to tell apart. I would guess it is a 706.

Both take a 7 1/2 inch flower dome. A 7 1/2 inch flower dome has 25 holes for flowers - 12 in an outer circle, 6 in a middle circle and one in the center. These all have holes which go through to the base. The other six are very small holes for flowers which do not have an exit at the base. They are located between the inner 6.

if you look on this page http://www.cloudglass.com/Frogs.htm then the green cloud flower dome in the first picture is 7 1/2 inches in diameter.  The large amber cloud dome is a 10 inch one, which if memory serves we purchased from Bernard.

Regards

Chris

from Chris Stewart

http://www.cloudglass.com - The Cloud Glass Reference Site
http://www.davidson-glass.com - Information on Davidson Glass

All images (c) Chris and Val Stewart unless otherwise stated

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 08:20:52 PM »
Thank you all for your help, I've really grown very fond of this bowl in the few days I've owned it. Its nice to talk to people who like glass as much as I do. When I show my latest finds to my family all I get is a blank stare ,must say my husbands beginging to get the bug too!! Hes started spotting things he knows I like, even my old father in law bought me a lovely walther bowl last week he picked up for a pound!! Thanks again
cheryl

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand