No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Archimede Seguso Alabastro Sculpture?  (Read 4525 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Archimede Seguso Alabastro Sculpture?
« on: May 20, 2007, 12:44:55 PM »
After years of frustration, I think I finally may have found at our local flea market a (dare I say?) "museum" quality piece to upgrade my Murano collection.  Naturally, it's unsigned but appears to bear remnants of labels underneath.  Based on color and style I'm thinking Archimede Seguso.  Good size, 15 1/2" tall.  I'm hoping the experts out there can confirm my hopes or quickly put me out of misery.  Any thoughts to age, or if it is part of a "series."
Thanks in advance.
Charles.

Mod: photo's uploaded to GlassGallery   :)

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7133

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7132

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7131

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7130

Offline chuggy

• Members
Re: Archimede Seguso Alabastro Sculpture?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 09:37:15 PM »
Well done Charles I'd say 99.9% certain Archimede Seguso, though I've only ever seen one other sculptural piece in alabastro, and that was in green, but interestingly that was fully signed, but its base was identical to yours though the format of the sculpture was different. I think from memory that one dated from around 1958.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 02:13:42 AM »
Thanks Paul.  I guess I'm not as dumb as I look.   :P  The next question is whether this piece is pictured in the new Leslie Pina book on Archimede Seguso.  I'll be sure to order it from Amazon on Monday; seems reasonable at $44.  I love those gorgeous monographs on Murano designers.  So far I've got the Martens and Fuga books.  The glass itself is just a bit beyond my price range, but one can always dream...

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 06:54:58 AM »
It's not in the book, and in truth I found the book very disappointing in its content with the majority of the items featured being relatively common pieces and none of his sculptural items. Lots of animals and lidded pots, including a number piccys courtesy of Javier.
Paul

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 05:53:57 PM »
There's another, Italian book on this artist that's out that's twice the price.  I'm wondering if it's appreciably better in terms of scope of coverage.

As to the piece, thanks for the confirmation.  The "alabastro" glass is right on in terms of color, texture and heft, from what I can tell.  Also, it is a modern, "stylized" piece which is consistent with a Seguso fish pictured in Pina's book on Italian Glass.  Seguso as I understand was a sculptor, but I have only ever seen this "hugging couple" design on more recent pieces - specifically a tall 1980s Anatro scupture, which is more anatomically detailed than the Seguso.  (I'll try to upload a picture later tonight).  I'm wondering if Seguso was the progenitor of this form in glass.  I'm also wondering if it's been seen in pieces by other Muranese designers in the 1950s and 1960s.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 07:53:52 PM »
I have to agree that the shape looks more like an 80s "lovers" piece.
I have 1 in silver and black.
Also Formia did a lot of Opalescent/Alabastro glass.
Its worth a look at the Anatro and Formia angle.
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 10:55:08 PM »
I'll go with Paul's response!    Seriously though, the piece does appear to have "age" to it in terms of base wear, and the color scheme is classic Seguso.  Plus, this "lovers" motif in Italian glass had to start somewhere!  Why not Seguso in the 1950s?  Interestingly, Seguso did apparently create pieces in this motif.  I found the following description of a piece auctioned in 1995: "glass figure of an embracing couple affixed to a conforming cylindrical platform base, red labeled 'Archimede Seguso Murano Made in Italy,'" listed as "circa 1970s."  See http://www.artfact.com/ and search under Archimede Seguso sculpture.  Collecting in this area obviously requires great amounts of detective work.

Offline Joschua

• Members
    • Schuerenberg Kunsthandel
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 02:17:08 PM »
There are two Alabastro sculptures published in I vetri di Archimede Seguso, those are dated from 1959 and are way less abstract, but that doesnt tell much...
Any Pina book I have wasnt worth the money, she should visit old archives on Murano instead of republishing auction catalogues, sorry but that is what I think about her books. The Fratelli Toso book is full of attributions while the firms complete Archive is accessible on Murano and while much more important glass is in private collection than those tons of ashtrays that she published. Circa fifties glass was good in times when there were no other newly published books, still it has a bunch of wrong attributions.

Joschua

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 04:15:03 PM »
The sculpture I saw in green was a very abstract Madonna figure and showed marked similarities to the figures here, and as mentioned earlier the base was the same, though fully signed.
Paul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand