No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paul Ysart Ephemera  (Read 4537 times)

Offline cfosterk

• Members
Paul Ysart Ephemera
« on: June 26, 2007, 09:42:38 PM »
I picked up a rather inconsequential looking trade 'advertising card' amongst a small collection of paperweights at a regional saleroom - on closer inspection it was produced for Paul Ysart!! Measures around 4" by 3" in green/blue black and white. Looks to be Harland period based on the address given of Paul Ysart Paperweight Co PO Box 5 Wick Scotland.

Cover comprises the simple text Paul Ysart The Master Craftsman.

What is interesting is that it states Paul had been making paperweight for "53 years". The last marketing material for Harland was likely to be produced no later than 1975 when the Harland Glassworks had to close - if true then this suggests that Paul started making paperweights in at least 1932/33. This was verbally confirmed by Paul in Alison Clarkes piece in Ysart Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: Paul Ysart Ephemera
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 11:30:47 AM »
Hiya,

I'm probably falling into some sort of "QI" trap and acting the Allen Davies part, but shouldn't that be 1922/23? (Taking 53 from 1975) Cue claxons....................... ???

Nigel

Note: For the benefit of readers outside the UK, QI is a quiz programme on the TV over here, in which Allen usually gives the most obvious comment or answer - incorrectly.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 12:12:12 PM »
And I always thought this was shape of QI

Paul Ysart was producing at Harland 1971-1979. so 53 years gives 1918-1926. 1915 he was a trainee and I believe an apprenticeship was then 7 years, leading to 1922/3. There is clear evidence of the use of millefiori cane in 1924 and Paul's role in the team would certainly have led to him making millefiori - perhaps for the leaflet he just used the date on which he completed his apprenticeship. I heard the recordings Alison made and he clearly stated 1932/3 as when he first made a paperweight.

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 05:46:33 PM »
Doh!

Typo error, sorry!!! What I meant to point out is that Paul's paperweight 'production' appears to have started earlier than Alison had indicated!!!! Sorry!!!!!!

Whilst Paul undoubtably continued up until 1979 from Harlands Works, I think it highly unlikely that he would have spent money on 'promotional material' aged 73 years plus. My best guess is that the leaflet was produced before the Gunn's pulled funding in 1975 - so yes that means 1922/23!!! (and not 32/33).

Just thought it was interesting info to share with Ysart aficionados....

There must be a number of these leaflets around??

Has anyone any ideas on the PO box number - will the GPO/Royal Mail provide details, or will these be confidential I wonder??

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 06:05:13 PM »
Hiya,

What sort of details do you expect to get from the PO Box number?

Nigel

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 06:13:21 PM »
Perhaps who subscribed to the P O Box and the dates of subscription.

Can then work out when the promo was likely to have been in use....

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 06:21:29 PM »
Interpretation of original material from companies is fraught with difficulty. It invariably reflects the perspective of the current owners and can often be economical with the truth. Although sometimes the truth is written in such a way that the reader infers something else, so always quote complete, exact wording and punctuation. Omissions can be significant too, try finding mention of O'Broin in Caithness company literature since he left the company!

The PO Box number will reveal nothing useful, other than where Paul would collect his mail from.

The worst source is often the tales told by people that have worked with the subject of research and this is a big problem with the Ysart's - many people claim to have worked with, been buddies with them and tell some amazing stories. Some of which continue to circulate and grow richer. Nearly all have been disproved over the years.

Safest approach is to always be sceptical and look for secondary sources and/or time related facts that are 'more likely' to be accurate. This leaflet is a good example of spin, but it is also ambiguous in time. The full text might say more.

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 06:29:07 PM »
The dates 1922/23 tie in exactly with Salvador et als move to Moncrieffs and the according to Frank the date that Paul probably completed his apprenticeship. Perhaps there is an element of 'artistic licence' given the first hand account given by Paul to Alison!!

Is it still possible to get in touch with Bob or Louise Gunn? I'm still interested in who produced the literature and when!

I'll photograph and will post tonight!!!

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 07:48:32 PM »
PO Boxes are directly linked to a street address - I don't know if this has always been the case but they are now (we have one which is how I know this.) And on request the Royal Mail are obliged to give the details of that street address to an enquirer. I believe the enquiry must be in writing, but I don't know if it only applies to currently held boxes rather than historical information.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand