No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another Mdina Signature Question  (Read 2840 times)

Offline ckscot

• Members
Another Mdina Signature Question
« on: July 12, 2007, 05:20:26 PM »
I have just bought this lovely big Mdina Chalice vase which is dated 1975 and signed both Mdina and with an artist's signature.  In my innocence I had hoped that it might turn out to be Michael Harris', which I haven't seen before, but I know now that the date is too late for that (unless it's been added later....hope not). 
So my first question is: can anyone identify the signature? 
Secondly, I plan to sell it on Ebay and am wondering if knowing the artist's name would affect its value at all, given that it isn't Mr Harris?  Many thanks.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7841
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7840
Iain

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Another Mdina Signature Question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 06:53:31 PM »
Hi, I have a piece of signed Michael Harris and the one thing that really stands out is how neat it is.  If you can imagine the name, in full, signed neatly and clearly in a perfect handwriting script then that's Michael Harris' signature - it's so clear it can be read easily and can't be mistaken for anything else.

I'm afraid I have no idea who might have signed your chalice however I can tell you it's a very lovely piece indeed - nice early colours and with that beautiful chunky knop around the stem - assuming it's in good condition it should sell very well.  A nice find.

Offline ckscot

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 08:54:43 PM »
Thanks for your kind words Pip, yes, it is a very nice piece and it is in good condition so I have I high hopes for it.  :) And it's good to know that no-one has been adding Michael Harris' signature to the piece after the event. Iain
Iain

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 11:48:50 AM »
Mark Hill says in his book re signatures "...from mid-1970s onwards...These are neither Michael's signature nor someone signing on his behalf, and are signatures of either Joseph Said or Eric Dobson, or other employees signing on their behalf." www.markhillpublishing.com So I think the answer is someone Mdina  ;D

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 12:14:20 PM »
For what it's worth my guess would be Eric Dobson, it looks like it could say that and the Joseph Said signatures I've seen look a bit like circular scribble with a tail (though they may have been done on his behalf by someone else).....just a guess.

Offline ckscot

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 09:27:04 PM »
Thanks to all for your input.  It's hard for me to see Dobson or Said in the signature, OR to say that it couldn't be either.  And it's kind of reassuring to realise that others can't decipher signatures so easily either. Looks like whoever signed it went to writing classes at medical school.......  ;D
I've just put it on Ebay, so we'll see if anyone else has any ideas. Regards, iain
Iain

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 12:32:00 AM »
Hi there,
Thanks for quoting my book Christine, as that will save typing as it's nearly half one in the morning right now! Can't remember the name of the thread where I wrote this before, otherwise I'd put a link in, not that I even know how to do that, but...
As far as we know, both Dobson and Said signed themselves, and others signed for them. All are variable in precise format and swirly. I think the rough rule is that Said ends in a 'high' letter with the 'd' and Dobson ends in a 'low' letter with the 'n'. I'd think this was Dobson or someone signing for him. MH was a skilled engraver, so his signature is exactly as Pip says - very very neat and regular. It's also very legible.
Nice piece though - signed and dated pieces from after MH left do seem to fetch a premium over unsigned and undated post-MH pieces on eBay, it seems to me.
Mark
www.markhillpublishing.com
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand