No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Flavio Poli / Archimede Seguso Hippo c 1938  (Read 7140 times)

chuggy

Flavio Poli / Archimede Seguso Hippo c 1938
« on: June 11, 2005, 06:07:47 PM »
Hi All
Hoping someone out there can enlighten me, I've just acquired privately in sunny Essex UK, a Poli/Seguso Hippo in the corroso finish identical to that pictured in the book "Animals in Glass" except mine has the mouth wide open. Shown pictures to a few folks who tell me it's rare as rocking horse poo! (Hope thats OK). Would love to post pictures, but despite the idiots guide to picture posting mine won't, but if anyone wants a peek let me know and I'll e-mail them. What I'm after is firstly has anyone ever come across one of these, and secondly any idea what it might make in auction if I decide to sell.
All help appreciated
Paul

chuggy

picture hopefully
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 07:27:00 PM »
http://tinypic.com/5vxjc6

Hopefully it may work this time

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 01:43:49 AM »
Paul, this is a splendid find.  In my opinion, the most forthright evaluations come from a reputable expert appraiser.  The condition of the piece is an important factor.  Based upon your photo, it appears that the hippopotamus met an immovable foe and lost the left tooth on the lower jaw during the fracas.  There also appears to be a surface scuff on the left base.  These impressions, however, may be due to camera angle rather than reality.

Turning to comparables from the same series, an exquisite ‘Flavio Poli extremely rare corroso bull glass sculpture’ realized 7000 USD at auction last year.  Photographs of the sculpture and a detailed description can be found under Auction Results at www.auctionhelper.com.  Enter Flavio Poli in the search box, and click on Lot Number 273 in the Modern Design Auction held March 27, 2004.

Good fortune!

chuggy

poli / seguso hippo
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 07:53:51 AM »
Thanks for the help certainly looks like a valuable piece, the teeth are as made since all have a corroso finish to the flat surfaces and pleased to say the "scrape" is just camera angle and reflection. Had a very helpful mail back from a large Venetian gallery which suggests this piece may be unique and say they have no doubt it is genuine and very very rare.
Whoopee one of those finds that make it all worthwhile, but I'm going to keep and enjoy for a bit yet.
Any other takes on it appreciated.
Cheers
Paul

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Re: Flavio Poli / Archimede Seguso Hippo c 1938
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 05:13:30 PM »
Hello Paul, I have the book you talk about and think your piece is really excellent. Can you give us a sense of its size? The piece really looks massive from the photo.
Javier

Quote from: "Guest"
.... Turning to comparables from the same series, an exquisite ‘Flavio Poli extremely rare corroso bull glass sculpture’ realized 7000 USD at auction last year.  Photographs of the sculpture and a detailed description can be found under Auction Results ....
Good fortune!

For our guest...
First thank you for your comments, but I have to say something here. I dont think it is fare to post a link where you cannot access the information without first "Signing Up" for a "Free Trial." If you would be so kind, why dont you post the actual photo of the Flavio Poli Corroso Bull, or a similar one, so we can all see it? I think it would help everyone if you did.
Thanks
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Anonymous

Poli / Seguso Hippo
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 06:48:56 PM »
Hi Javier

It's 15 cm in length and 13cm high. Hopefully here,s a further picture of the beast.

http://tinypic.com/5y8c94

chuggy

Re: Flavio Poli / Archimede Seguso Hippo c 1938 [Updated]
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 02:49:43 PM »
My apologies for inadvertently directing viewers to a commercial URL site.  
Quote from: "Guest"
Photographs of the sculpture and a detailed description can be found under Auction Results at www.auctionhelper.com.

The correct hyperlink, free of charge, is Dan Ripley’s Antique Helper site:  http://www.antiquehelper.com/.  Enter Flavio Poli in the search box, and click on Lot Number 273 in the Modern Design Auction held March 27, 2004.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 03:45:45 PM »
Guest, why don't you join up to Glassmessages?  It'd be nice to give you some credit for your input, and we don't have your name - do we?  :)

That bull certainly went for an amazing price!  Chuggy's hippo seems much more 'corroded' than the bull, or maybe it was just more rugged before it had the corroso finish?  

Btw Guest, great resource you've linked there, I'll be using that in future!
I am not a man

Offline chuggy

• Members
Poli / Seguso Hippo
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 07:13:45 PM »
I've seen pictures of both pink and green hippos in books with the closed mouth and the tops of them are heavily corroso finished so I think it was a feature of the hippos.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2005, 11:58:20 PM »
Hello Guest...
Thank you for posting the right link for the glass bull. That works much better for everyone.

Hello Paul!
I think your Hippo is much better than those with the mouth closed. Its always great to find animals in "Action"
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand