No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: "Belge" mark in glass hen on nest covered dish  (Read 30533 times)

Offline SAS

• Author
  • Members
Re: "Belge" mark in glass hen on nest covered dish
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 01:36:37 PM »
Dear Pamela,
Thank you very much for your information on the "Belge" mark and the links to your extremely useful and informative website.
Are you saying that various companies used the "Belge" mark for items exported to Belgium? I know that German companies exporting items to England used a mould mark (usually the British registration mark).
Sincerely,
Shirley in Charleston, WV USA

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 02:00:27 PM »
Pamela - I've been concerned about this before but I can't get to the bottom of it. Are you saying that Inwald marked their glass with BELGE? Is there solid evidence for this? Could it be that an Inwald pattern was copied by a Belgian maker?
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 08:02:30 PM »
Dear Glen,
this one:  http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/schalen/06466.html is new to my collection. It matches http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/schalen/04406.html

although a little different in height and MARK - the pink one has got not only BELGE in the base but also FAIT EN BELGIQUE inside top

please compare to Inwald 1934 page 128  ;D

Regarding Walther Glas I have to upload the ATLAS finally, my fault - please excuse  :-X

Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 08:08:12 PM »
Glen and all, please
I am far from telling anyone here anything... I can only contribute out of my collection  :angel:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 09:44:53 PM »
Thanks to Patricia we now know that "Belge"was routinely used to mark products from the Boom factory; we may therefore assume that other makers in the Manuverbel pool such as Doyen Havré (pressed glass) used the mark as well.
I can not believe a german maker used "Belge" or "fait en Belgique". It makes no sense...

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 06:36:24 AM »
As I said above, I simply can't imagine Inwald or Walther using BELGE or anything similar, on their glass. No way.

So why is there a BELGE mark on items that appear identical to pieces made by Inwald and Walther? They were made in Belgium (by a Belgian maker....as Ivo notes above, probably Boom...thanks for that info Ivo and Patricia). They were copies - the patterns were plagiarised. Sometimes by agreement and contract, sometimes not. It happens all the time. Here are just a few examples.

Jacobean / Milord
Inwald (Czech) and Davidson (UK)

#2266 Chunky aka English Hob & Button
Sowerby (UK) and Indiana (USA)

Rose Garden aka Rosen aka Rosor
Brockwitz (Germany) and Eda Glasbruk (Sweden)

Sunk Daisy aka Red Sunflower aka Amerika
Cambridge (USA) and Eda Glasbruk (Sweden) and Riihimaki (Finland)

The above list is just a very small selection (off the top of my head).

Glen

Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline tipperrary

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 07:43:55 PM »
hi..i researched the grammar of fait en and it carries the meaning of ___for the purpose of_____thats from french

Sklounion

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 08:27:49 PM »
Hi,
"Fait en..."  is definitely, in common French parlance, "Made in..." and not "for the purpose of..."
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 01:49:33 PM »
As I said above, I simply can't imagine Inwald or Walther using BELGE or anything similar, on their glass. No way.

So why is there a BELGE mark on items that appear identical to pieces made by Inwald and Walther? They were made in Belgium (by a Belgian maker....as Ivo notes above, probably Boom...thanks for that info Ivo and Patricia). They were copies - the patterns were plagiarised. Sometimes by agreement and contract, sometimes not.

Not to mention the piece that Christine (Lustrousstone) saw marked Made in Belgium, but a dead ringer for a Bagley Elf Posy.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 07:53:58 PM »
Cathy, you bought that one didn't you. How does it compare in  the "flesh"?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand