No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue Satin Glass Vase.  (Read 2258 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Blue Satin Glass Vase.
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 10:49:01 PM »
Air trap, yes.

Satin ... I'm not convinced. I might be wrong, but the photos all seem to show too much of a shine for it to have been acid dipped. Or perhaps the shine is really an effect of the vase being formed in a tightly set rib mould (seems to be 44 ribs)?
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline sandymae

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 11:14:38 PM »
Yes, it has 44 ribs, and the glass has a shine, more so as it gets to the more brighter blue, which has a lovely glowing effect.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 12:10:58 AM »
There were some air-trap pieces that were not given the typical satin finish (via an acid bath). These so-called "glossy" versions are quite uncommonly seen.
 So you really got a great bargain on this special piece of Victorian glass! Congratulations! :clap:
By the way, Manley's book "Decorative Victorian Glass" is out of print & hard to find-took me years to locate a copy & then it was very pricey. A better, in-print alternative is "Victorian Decorative Glass-British Designs" by Mervyn Gulliver, published in 2002 by Schiffer Books. Still pricey but easier to find!
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline sandymae

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 12:56:34 AM »
Thanks for that, I did a search and found the book by Mervyn Gulliver. I'm really chuffed with myself for finding such a treasure! Thanks to all on the message board, I really do appreciate all the help and wealth of knowledge here. :clap:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 02:26:49 AM »
Happy to be of help, & enjoy your new treasure! :)
Marinka.
More glass than class!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand