No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Wuidart Wealdstone trumpet vase — I got it right!  (Read 3257 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
While away camping in the Isle of Purbeck, I was offered a large royal blue wave-ribbed trumpet vase at an antiques fair.   Nice piece, almost certainly Whitefriars, but I had this nagging doubt, so I did not buy it.

Checking Jackson on my return, there it is, p124, plate 111 (iii), colour as (v) and (vi).

What was wrong with it?   Well the conventional Whitefriars version has a slightly flared rim, whereas this Wuidart version is straight sided.   ... and I don't find this Wuidart production by Whitefriars at all easy to sell.   So I was glad that I left it alone.

Which brings me on to a more general point.   If the Wuidart production, well documented in Evans, is more difficult to sell, then prices should fall, which should attract more collectors, eventually establishing prices at a new level.   Why doesn't this seem to happen?

Bernard C.  8)

ps — I can't seem to be able to log into the whitefriars.com discussion board, yet the website recognises me.   Any ideas?
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Whitefriars Wuidart Wealdstone trumpet vase — I got it right!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 11:27:00 PM »
Probably a cookie that's gone pear-shaped Bernard. I can't recall which browser you use, and clearing rogue cookies is different depending on which you use... but in Firefox it's Tools menu > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies. In IE it's somewhere in the Internet Options but I can never remember where as I don't use IE.   :-\  You won't need to clear all cookies, just look for those relating to the site and delete those and then go back to the site & re-enter your details and accept the new cookie/s.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 11:42:13 PM »
It could be a problem with WF.com itself.  Leni had the same problem and it took quite a while to sort out.  That board has some strange vagaries occasionally.  :-\
I am not a man

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 08:30:17 AM »
The W/F.com site appears to be working quite well currently, but it may be an idea Bernard, that you send Webmaster an e-mail explaining your problems.  There's a contact link right at the bottom of the Home Page. Emmi

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 10:51:30 AM »
Bernard,

To answer your question about Wuidart. Collecting is a fickle thing and I have always found the W/F Wuidart range, as a whole, is difficult to sell.

It is possible that had it been more prominent in the W/F Exhibitions and related book (Jackson) then more credance would have been given to it.

With the current drop in W/F prices it is difficult to know how to work in that market as a dealer, but I would suggest that now is a good time to buy. A similar situation happened with Clarice Cliff many years ago - and look what's happened there! What was very much a UK market became international, with all the associated consequencies.

Without this general uncertainy, I would suggest that the Wuidart pieces would have by now attracted more attention from collectors, BUT it is certainly an area where bargains are to be found and a good representative collection of W/F could be made, albeit that the items were made for another company, it's still as valid.

Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand