No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Queen Mary Ashtray - any idea on maker, please?  (Read 8278 times)

Offline Sue C

• Members
Re: Queen Mary Ashtray - any idea on maker, please?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2007, 09:45:26 AM »
OK Carol, i will take a note book, she is very sweet if a bit dotty.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2007, 03:07:49 PM »
Hi sorry it has taken so long to get back to this but here goe's

Edward "Ted" Girling served aboard the Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth, whiles on the Queen Elizabeth he sailed to New York carrying troops and was awarded a medal by the M.S Y.M.C.A for organizing a foorball match that's all the history i have from his time on the QE, but i did only talk to annie, and not Ted's son Roger.

Roger has many momento's of Ted's time on the queen Mary, including glass, menues, stationary, photo's, painting's, and books.
In one book i found a referance as to what was on board pertaining to glass and china, i could not post photo's as i was naot sure as to copy right? the book stated :-

Crystal tableware manufactured for the Queen Mary by Stuart and Son's of Stourbridge, in all 22,000 pieces of table glass on board.

China:-

Jackson and Gosling Ltd of Stoke On Trent, 30.000 pieces

Ted was certainly on the QM in 1936 as one of the photo's is dated.

He started at Cunard as a steward, then waiter, and became something called a ship's Tiger, i have never heard the expression.

All of Ted's history and photo's are unpublished, Roger would love to hear from anyone who is interested about his father's time with Cunard.

Edited to say, i asked Annie if she was sure these glasses came from the Queen Mary and she said she was certain?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2007, 03:11:51 PM »
More photo's.
If you would like to contact Roger and Annie, please email me for details, roger is very excited about this.
Iam sorry about the quality of the phot's, but most of them are on the wall under glass, but they have many more loose one's.

I hope this help's some one.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2007, 03:47:32 PM »
Conicidences can happen but often there is more to them...

Letter to pottery Gazette August, 1935

from a S. Stuart, Director. Stonier & Co., Ltd., 78, Lord-st., Liverpool.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand