No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orange vase? - ID = Polish  (Read 2643 times)

Offline zidori

• Members
Orange vase? - ID = Polish
« on: August 27, 2007, 04:15:36 PM »
This orange art glass vase (with the do-nut look) stands 8.75 inches tall, is quite heavy having been made out of thickish glass and has a flat, polished base.
I have a recollection that Ronald Stennett-Willson designed something like this and that Holmegaard and Rihimaaki may also have used a similar design feature and did Whitefriars have decanters with the do-nut effect?
Confused? - I am. I keep thinking I am getting better at identification but this has thrown the cat amongst the pigeons for me. Can anyone please help?
Regards
Ronnie

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8305
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8306

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Stennett-Willson, Scandinavian or Whitefriars?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 05:09:44 PM »
Your heavy orange vase is contemporary Polish and was "inspired" by a Skruf decanter from the sixties. I see no relation to anything made by RSW or Whitefriars at all. 

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 10:03:21 AM »
Hi thanks for your comments but I feel its a quality piece of hand blown glass. Could it be Scandinavian? if anyone can help, please let me know. Thanks again. ::)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 06:03:29 PM »
Being contemporary Polish and 'quality' are not necessarily mutually exclusive, some of the Polish production is very well-designed and executed - personally, I'd not dismiss Ivo's suggestion quite so readily.  If it IS Scandinavian it's not something I personally recognise and doesn't appear in any of the books I have.

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 06:49:06 PM »
I'm with Ivo here, I have an original Skruf and this is clearly similar to that design but not the same.
The Skruf is wider around the middle,and the top rim isn't much thicker than the rest of the glass.
Mine is a decanter and has a pouring lip.

I also seem to recall that we've had this discussion before about a similar, but clear, vase?
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand