No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hand vase article now on the Glass Museum  (Read 2804 times)

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Hand vase article now on the Glass Museum
« on: August 31, 2007, 07:52:19 AM »
Hi all, :)
just thought you might like to check out my article on glass hand vases which has just been added to the Glass Museum.
Many thanks to Angela for all her help in editing & researching the article, & for making it look so good!  :clap:
I seem to have got her hooked on hand vases too, now... >:D
Even if you're not into fanciful figural glassware, it has lots of interesting facts & for me it's a first step on that big road called "writing a book".
Enjoy!
http://www.glass.co.nz/glasshandvases.htm
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Hand vase article now on the Glass Museum
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 08:35:36 AM »
Marinka, what a wonderful article!  :hiclp: And what wonderful pictures, too!  Thank you very much  :-*

But should it only be mentioned here in the cafe?  Surely it should be in the main glass forum?  Or in the archives?

Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 08:41:48 AM »
Hi Leni,  :)
So glad you enjoyed the article!
I wasn't sure whether to put it in the Cafe or the main forum, ended up choosing the Cafe as I felt the main forum was more for specific questions about identifying glass.
Anyway, I'm sure our excellent moderators can move it there if they feel it is appropriate.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 10:11:11 AM »
Well done Marinka - I'm quite surprised at the sheer diversity of these vases :o

P.S. Glad to see you were successful with your recent purchase ;)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline lesley7

• Members
  • Professional glass engraver since 1984
    • engraved glass
    • UK
    • Lesley Pyke - Glass Engraver
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 10:34:43 AM »
Wow those are amazing, thank for the details. I had never heard of hand vases and certainly never see one. Fascinating. 8)
If there is no wind.....ROW.
http://www.lesleypyke.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 11:48:19 AM »
Hi Marinka, can I check, are you only interested in glass hand vases?

I sometimes get porcelain ones, and I'm never sure if I should let you know?

Great article btw!   :hiclp:
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 12:59:59 PM »
Magnificent article, Marinka!  :hiclp:

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 01:20:23 PM »
So glad that you are finding my article interesting...I know it's an unusual topic, but as you mentioned, David,
hand vases are so diverse.
They have been made by so many different makers, & in such a wide array of designs, for over 100 years.
When I first started collecting them back in 1995, I had no idea that I'd find so many different types, or even so many of them!
The collection was off to a slow start & it wasn't until I discovered online shopping that my collection really grew exponentially.
I have had another great addition this week, a pair of marked hand vases which will need further research, as well as an extremely rare Fenton Peach Crest hand vase.
And just a few hours ago, I won a very unusual & wonderfully kitschy 1950s Australian pottery hand vase!
I didn't even know such a vase existed. Not that there aren't loads of ceramic hand vases, from Victorian Parian ware ones to 1940-50s examples made in the U.S.A & Japan. I have a few of these, & plan to include some ceramic hand vases in my book, as I'm sure that hand collectors will pursue both glass & ceramic versions. My collection does focus on the glass ones, however.
Thanks so much for your positive responses. :)
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 01:43:45 PM »
Nice article Marinka. Just odd that you skipped Bartholdi, who is at the origins of the craze and who held the patent for the statue and parts thereof from 1879. It sort of sets a firm starting date.  Wikipedia is a nice place to start reading up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Liberty.

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 02:22:13 PM »
Hi Ivo,
thanks for your input. I have, in the preface to my book, began an attempt to unravel the original symbolism behind the hand vase form, & I have looked into the Statue of Liberty as a possible inspiration. However, taking into account the more concise nature of the Glass Museum articles, I felt that it was necessary to narrow my focus to the different types of hand vases, & their respective manufacturers, rather than a full historical exploration of the origins of the form.
Nevertheless, I do not intend to neglect this side of my research, as it is both extremely interesting, & somewhat contentious.
Although the Statue of Liberty has become an icon, & in my words, "the world's biggest hand vase", I feel that the origins of the form go further back into the mists of time.
My one contention, & I may be splitting hairs, is that the S.O.L holds a torch, & in general, the overwhelming majority of hand vases hold a cornucopia of some sort. There is one known hand vase (possibly a toothpick holder of U.S origin) that is actually shaped like a hand holding a flaming torch, like the S.O.L does.
Certainly, there are Classical allusions obvious in the Statue, but I have also found other Classical goddesses who were associated with, & commonly depicted as, holding aloft a cornucopia, most notably the Greek goddess Almathea, who raised Zeus, the king of the gods. In gratitude, Zeus was said to have presented her with a goat's horn that gave the possessor whatever they wished for. In Roman mythology, the cornucopia was held by Annona, also known as Abundantia, who was the symbolic representation of the harvest & abundance. Fortuna, the goddess of luck, was also depicted holding a cornucopia.
As the cornucopia is a well-known symbol of abundance, it seems to be a very appropriate piece of symbolism for a flower vase. It suggests both the abundance of nature, & for the owner, a pleasing reference to classical mythology. Victoriana is awash with sentimental (if now slightly macabre) depictions of disembodied hands in jewellery, illustrations on cards, & of course, ornamental items in glass & porcelain.
In short, I do not discount the S.O.L's importance as an iconic hand symbol, but I do not believe it to be the sole progenitor of the design.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand