No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano 101: Murano Labels!!!  (Read 297883 times)

Offline silver stain

• Members
    • Murano glass
    • Italy
Re: Murano 101: Murano Labels!!!
« Reply #170 on: December 27, 2021, 01:34:46 PM »

I found another label old codification...... for ZONCA 004

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
« Reply #171 on: December 27, 2021, 02:48:53 PM »
Wow! a little grain of gold-dust for the glass librarians.
I hope you wont mind if I share this.

Could you add a picture of the complete item on which it was found, please?
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

Offline Jay

• Members
« Reply #172 on: December 30, 2021, 10:46:57 AM »
The previous identification for 004 (from fossilfly) indicated 'LAG srl'

Zonca is not known as a glass furnace on Murano. It seems to be a lighting company, based in Alessandria, IT which made various mushroom lamps etc on Murano, but also (later) made lamps and lighting in various materials.
Melogranoblu, was/is another lighting designer (from Bergamo) whose products sometimes carry this number on the glass parts.

Born in 1967,  the LAG company is listed as making float glass at their Venetian (not Murano) factory, but it seems that they were also producing and selling (blown) lampshades and bases sold to /made for lighting design companies.

In order to qualify for the Municipal VM (numbering/labeling) scheme, they must have owned a site on the island of Murano making (blown) glass, but whether it had the name 'LAG' over the door? whether it had another name? was it taken over from, or by, somebody whose name is well-known? What was the exact address of the LAG-owned furnace on Murano? Is it linked to 'Laguna'?

Offline silver stain

• Members
    • Murano glass
    • Italy
« Reply #173 on: January 02, 2022, 12:05:43 PM »
here you are pics of the lamps with both label 004 end Zonca.

Offline silver stain

• Members
    • Murano glass
    • Italy
« Reply #174 on: January 02, 2022, 12:16:22 PM »
The Museum of glass in Murano reply to me that unfortunately they don't have a list of the old Murano codification  ::)
I am Italian and I live in Italy so I am very motivate in verify all the numbers .....
I will try to conctact people and offices. :)

Offline silver stain

• Members
    • Murano glass
    • Italy
« Reply #175 on: January 02, 2022, 12:44:27 PM »
LAG company was a " Società " in 1963 , address : Fondamenta Navagero 29 Murano island.
De Majo company was near at LAG.
In that place ( old furnace De Majo and old furnace LAG ) now there is a Hotel NH Collection.

Offline Jay

• Members
« Reply #176 on: January 04, 2022, 09:49:39 AM »
(DRAFT VERSION...)
The VM004 (and VM04) label is also found on the glasswork from lamps made by Melogranoblu and Zonca (et al.).
The VM numbers are often found on mushroom-lamps and grey-swirled lightshades which were increasingly popular after 1980, and very widely exported.
With carefully measured dimensions required and great consistency in production, the items are not really art-glass, but rather a hand-crafted product supplied to other manufacturers of lighting.
They were produced in a furnace (Fondamenta Navagero 29, across the canal from the Murano Glass Museum) owned by Guido Ferro. It was known as 'LAG' from 1966 (or so) and although it seems to have used that name through 1981 (when the VM system started) it became better known as Yalos in the subsequent years, and the site was moved a few hundred meters to Fondamenta S. Giovanni dei Battuti, 4. It's not clear when the LAG furnace was always part of the Ferro family, or was sold off at some point. (to Yalos?) In many instances the product range seems very similar to Effetre.
The increasing cost of Murano production, would have meant that there was an increasing cost-saving to be had from moving the production of lightshades away from the island to other (italian) cities. Current best information indicates that production ceased on this site around the year 2000-2005.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand