No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Any information on this 'French millefiori' paperweight, please?  (Read 3788 times)

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
Re: Any information on this 'French millefiori' paperweight, please?
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 01:14:45 PM »
Thank you very much for the additional information Alexander.
Cheers, John.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 10:48:17 PM »
I agree with Kevin that the canes look Scottish.  However the arrangement of the canes is not typical for a Scottish weight.
I agree with the second statement, but I never said I thought the canes were Scottish. I said " ... If those canes are Scottish ...". Perhaps I should have said what I really think ... I do not believe they are Scottish canes ... and the base is not finished in a Scottish manner. But I will keep an open mind on it.

The one Alexander has just bought is clearly from the same maker. I wonder if we will begin to see more of these?
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 08:43:41 AM »
Hmmm.  I also only said that "at first glance I would have thought it looked Scottish".  The pale pink and green colour was what first made me think it might be.  I can see that the construction of the canes has a similarity to some Murano canes, and the slightly untidy set-up is similar to some Murano weights, but I don't generally associate pale pink with Murano!   

Also, the weight John posted was shown on the ebay auction to have a very low profile - I thought it looked almost as if it had been ground right down to remove damage, or as if it was unfinished - a paperweight 'button' that had not had a final encasement!

I can see that Alexander's has the same or very similar canes, and I look forward to seeing more pics of that one, please!   
Leni

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 01:18:15 PM »
You will as soon as I get it  :)

A strange fruit this as there are elements of clichy in the canes, but the overall cane design looks scottish to me too,
Perthshire is what I'm thinking. I don't think it is tho.

The pics don't show the dome or base very well ( high or low dome, concave bottom or not ) but one
intriguing thing is the setting of the canes themselves, they appear well centered and not filling out the glass.

On some murano weights this happens, a lot of the ones I've seen tho they tend to fill every inch of glass with canes.

Looking forward to seeing it :)
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 10:07:37 AM »
Finally found one of these with a label - appears to be our muranese friends Fratelli Toso  :)

Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 10:21:37 AM »
Very interesting Alexander ~ many thanks again, John.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand