Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

Identify the 37 glassworks existing in 1696 in England and Wales

<< < (3/4) > >>

sph@ngw:
Correction! It was of course Sir Robert Mansell, not Sir Richard!

LinzC:
Northumberland archives have a bundle of papers dating 1620-1759.  As part of the description they describe

--- Quote ---articles of agreement to provide glassmaking syndicate (including William Tizacke of Newcastle) exclusively with 90 tons of “blewyglasseclay” from pit (s) at “Thirston Bearfield” over the next four years, to be delivered at their glasshouses called “the Westerhouses, Midlehouses, Easterhouse, Newhouse, and Howdenpannes”, as previously delivered there, at £140 per year plus costs of delivery or prop rate (should pit fail) at 31s.1 1/4d. Per ton delivered, one ton already on order to “Daniel Titterie of the Haining Shoar Glasshouse” to be the sole exception to this, 1694 (item 11).
--- End quote ---

That is assuming they did trade for the four years from 1694. 

https://calmview.northumberland.gov.uk/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=NRO+00358%2fA%2f9

JasonEllis:
Hello glass aficionados and historians,

I am the author of "Glassmakers of Stourbridge and Dudley 1612-2002". I came upon this site of Angela's by accident while performing a google search on something completely different. I have to admit that the strain of devoting 20 years of my life to research led me to think that once I had published I needed to get my life back. I have had 20 years off and I am becoming revived in my passion for this fascinating subject. My children have grown up and I have a bit more time to spare. I see my name has cropped up on this board a few times, so I hope I may be able to help with some of the communication on the board.

I no longer have the massive pile of evidence I had accumulated. In 2011 I donated two pallet loads of paper and parchment to (what was then) Broadfield House Glass Museum. But my head is still full of the knowledge I accumulated.

Regards

Jason Ellis   

flying free:
Hello and welcome to the board Jason :)

Your book is a fantastic reference and used a lot in my house.

Any help you can give on any of the topics will be gratefully received and hopefully you'll enjoy the glass along the way.

m

flying free:
LinzH  - thank you for posting the information

I found this link on Haining -shore glass house - page 46 (sometimes the spelling they previously used helps in searches so I changed it to shore :) )
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=FvI9AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA46&lpg=PA46&dq=haining+shore+glasshouse&source=bl&ots=6w-EpBqb-l&sig=ACfU3U2zMxSTjewqDO0qYzaL-1fvFT9Gyw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjYqc7gspzvAhXITsAKHbwND7UQ6AEwAXoECAIQAw#v=onepage&q=haining%20shore%20glasshouse&f=false

South Shields is also spelt Sheilds in the book - it can take ages to try and find references online because of the spellings sometimes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version