No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber and copper large vase - not Monart/Vasart  (Read 2519 times)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Amber and copper large vase - not Monart/Vasart
« on: October 05, 2007, 03:07:21 PM »
I would be most grateful for any help with this large vase (approx 175 mm 6.75 ins tall, 115 mm 4.5 ins diameter at rim). Very heavy thick glass.

Frank, I have worked through the Not Monart pages on the Ysart website, and think it might be Czech?  What do you think?  It is much heavier and thicker than the Nazeing bowl I have, so I don't think it is that.

Thanks!

Single picture below, gallery here with other pictures:

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: Amber and copper large vase - not Monart/Vasart
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 04:59:58 PM »
..... and with a central, polished concave pontil?

These have long been mistaken as from the Ysart stable, but you are right to suggest not. Sadly, to my knowledge, nobody has managed to identify them to date.

Also the observation about the thickness of the glass ruling them out as Nazeing is, in the main correct, and should probably be regarded as a rule-of-thumb, until more detailed information is published about the heavy pieces produced by that factory. There is also another feature that you have not mentioned and that is the way the colour is laid in. The enamel would have been courser than that used by Nazeing, hence the 'spatter' effect more associated with Monart, and to some degree with Vasart. Furthermore, only one item of Nazeing has been recorded as having any aventurine inclusions in modern times - and this is not similar to Monart with their, often,  liberal use of the 'gold stone' filings (aventurine).

Failing any confirmed ID, these pieces have long been given the honary status of Czech, but I don't believe that there is any actual evidence of that attribution.

Singularly unhelpful, I fear......sorry :(  Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 05:25:28 PM »
..... and with a central, polished concave pontil?

These have long been mistaken as from the Ysart stable, but you are right to suggest not. Sadly, to my knowledge, nobody has managed to identify them to date.

Also the observation about the thickness of the glass ruling them out as Nazeing is, in the main correct, and should probably be regarded as a rule-of-thumb, until more detailed information is published about the heavy pieces produced by that factory. There is also another feature that you have not mentioned and that is the way the colour is laid in. The enamel would have been courser than that used by Nazeing, hence the 'spatter' effect more associated with Monart, and to some degree with Vasart. Furthermore, only one item of Nazeing has been recorded as having any aventurine inclusions in modern times - and this is not similar to Monart with their, often,  liberal use of the 'gold stone' filings (aventurine).

Failing any confirmed ID, these pieces have long been given the honary status of Czech, but I don't believe that there is any actual evidence of that attribution.

Singularly unhelpful, I fear......sorry :(  Nigel

No not at all unhelpful, Nigel, just confirming what I already suspected.  I didn't buy it as anything in particular, simply part of a mixed lot, so I am not disappointed in any way, simply trying to put a name to a vase.

Yes, it has a central polished pontil - Whitefriars style if you like, although I am not even suggesting that it comes from that stable. 

I hadn't realised that Nazeing is aventurine free in the main - I only have a couple of pieces of Nazeing, and both are more frothy than spatter, with the bubbles making the pattern.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 08:44:59 PM »
These are different to the ones that are found in green, pink, and pale blue grounds shown in the top row http://www.ysartglass.com/Ysart/NotYsart.htm and they are proven Czech. That glass I do not consider to be very thick, but it is thinner than most Monart. But yours is very close stylewise to these. :huh:

I would like to add yours to that page Lynne, please.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 10:27:59 PM »
Larger pics on their way to you Frank.  If you need different light or anything just ask.

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 10:45:17 AM »

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 10:55:57 AM »
Oooh, it does look nice!! thanks Frank - I am always chuffed to see my pics up somewhere.. :chky:
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 12:52:06 PM »
Ysartglass keeps its credits on a separate page which includes a link to your site http://www.ysartglass.com/Contributors.htm

Which seemed like a good idea at the time! But as I kept no linkage between images and submitter it has proved a nightmare when I improved the images across the site (incomplete activity) and could not find the original source image.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 01:44:42 PM »
Oh, I have a cupboardful of those ideas that seemed good at the time....  :mus:

My full name is Lynne Clark btw - but no problem with just my christian name..
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand