No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Identify Stourbridge works and people...  (Read 44046 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Identify Stourbridge works and people...
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 04:15:32 PM »
Further evidence, I believe, for the view that at senoir management level they all knew each other.

Although the report criticises and praises family run firms (dominant), for going their own way but preserving quality methodology, in the between the wars era. It does make many recommendations of co-operative ventures and activities that require very close co-operation, foe example:
39. We recommend that, whilst maintaining their existing character on which their valuable goodwill has been built up, the firms in the industry should also consider setting up a co-operative modern glass works, employ­ing mechanical production methods, the output of which could be marketed through the existing firms, with or without further processing in their decorating shops, to cater for the medium price domestic market and the hotel, railway and shipping company trade.
I don't think that got off the ground but certainly many of their recommendations were significant in what happened in the glass industry through the next ten years or so. The report needs a meticulous review to see just what its impact was.

Another mention of the 8 firms is that 2 were publicly owned and 6 private - although it did stipulate family for the latter.

The proposals for the Czech glass industry as reported in Vol 1 of Czech Glass Review also come in for strong criticism.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 06:57:27 PM »
Quote from: Frank
... and Tutbury was Webbs too. So that leaves five 'firms' in Stourbridge. Or did Webb's sell one of those by 1946? ...

Frank — I think you will find that Tutbury was owned by Webb & Corbett.

Brenner, Robert, Depression Glass for Collectors, Schiffer, 1998 notes that Swanky Swigs evolved from the production of dual purpose containers for the Kraft Cheese Company as far back as 1933.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 07:41:24 PM »
PG in 31 gave Royal Castle Flint Glass Works, Tutbury, Staffs as Webb's Crystal Glass Co, Ltd. and that they used the works for making electric lamps. Which would seem to knock it off the list for Lead Crystal anyway! Perhaps they sold it or, is there another Tutbury?

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 07:50:47 PM »
Quote from: Roger Dodsworth in BGbtW
... Tutbury Glass Works, Tutbury, Staffs, taken over by Webb and Corbett in 1906 and run by them during 1920s and 30s. ...

From my own experience, Tutbury was still making cut crystal at the time of this report.   Both marks shown in BGbtW are known with a "T" in the centre.

Looks to me like two glassworks, or one that had been split into two.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 02:57:14 PM »
While indexing the GA's Glass Cone for the Glass-Study, I found a reference to this report in an article about Stourbridge School of Art. It turns out that three of the pictures are of a Charles D. Stanier who is regarded as one of the most skilled glassmakers of his time, appearing in photos 4, 5 and 19. Joined the college as glassmaking instructor and heavily involved with the Glass trade unions. Adds confusion, were the pictures posed or were they pictures he had available at the art school. It was his reputation that lead Stuart & Sons to frequently use him in their adverts.

Offline simon bruntnell

• Members
  • Simon Bruntnell Freelance Photographer
    • United Kingdom
    • www.northlightphotography.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 06:08:10 PM »
There's two site here Webbs and Stuarts the big furnace is now a theatre and display hall housing the IFG 2004 I will ask Brian Mason to have a look at the people. The one room is my studio in your shots I think
Simon Bruntnell (photographer to the Poor & Infamous)

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 09:31:45 AM »
Frank
Very intersting topic, I was very surprised and pleased to see in the link you gave, a vase which I have seen in a Antique shop not far from were I live, I took a trip to this shop today and it was my lucky day, the vase was still there, I know the shop owner quite will so I was able to have a good look at the vase, it is a wonderful piece, I forgot to measure it but I would say it is about 12" high by 6" diameter at the top, and it is signed, H Cook No 72.

Now the question who is/was H Cook and was this a limited edtion of, how many? and who was the glass firm?

Here are two photos, the one of the base shows the signiture double as the base acted like a mirror

Offline Tony H

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 03:29:42 AM »
Frank
Hi just a bump as this topic had gone to page 2, have you read my post was it of any help?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 11:51:05 AM »
Hi Tony, a bit too stressed out to reply to everything at the mo. But very well spotted, did you buy it?

I was hoping that someone would ID the vase... is it a Webb, Stuart, Harbridge etc. Getting info on the cutter would be interesting too.

And Simon can you relate your pictures to those in the book (link) please.

Offline Tony H

• Members
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 06:14:22 PM »
Frank
Hi at this time I do not know who made this piece as the only mark is of H Cook No 72, my first choice would be Stuart, I will see what info I can find, I have done some searching but no luck at the moment.

I did not buy this piece, would love to but the asking price is NZ$550 which is a bit more that can spare at the moment

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand