No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Just bragging - what I bought today!  (Read 18195 times)

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
Just bragging - what I bought today!
« on: November 02, 2007, 09:40:19 PM »
Sorry - just had to show this one off -

Fenton, Grape & Cable carnival glass plate with three spatula feet in marigold.  With a rather nice irridescence. ;D.

Tim
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline devonianbelle

• Members
Re: Just bragging - what I bought today!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 10:29:34 PM »
LOL never, there is always something else that "catches your eye". I started off glass collecting after getting interested in Whitefriars and before you know it, I now have iittala, Riihimaki, Holmegaard, Orrefors, Mdina, Murano, Bohemia, Dartington, Wedgwood and 1 piece of Liskeard.....and my A D Copiers Leerdam dish, which if it hadn't been for the fountain of knowledge here would have gone to the charity shop !!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 08:30:37 PM »
Yeah I just keep adding - I really have run out of shelf space though 8).  Went out again today, really pleased to find this one...

Four flowers variant bowl in green - got to go to the Thistlewood's site to read up on it now!

Tim
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 02:47:00 AM »
Ooh, Tim, they're both rather nice.  :clap:

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 12:10:09 PM »
I'm rather scared of buying Carnival glass because I just know so little about it - it's such a big complicated area and it's seriously out of my comfort zone.  I did buy one bowl recently that Glen kindly IDd for me so I know I'd look at those two if I saw them Tim.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 12:46:15 PM »
Hi Tim.......maybe it's time to stop "going out" then there'll be nothing to catch your eye! ;D ;D Emmi

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 01:08:35 PM »
This should please you then Tim - old listing so no pictures available, and green is usually more expensive than amethyst/purple...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270161491497

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 01:15:33 PM »
Cathy and Lynne - Yes, very pleased with those.  The Grape & Cable was part of a mixed lot at our local auction (estimate £10-15 for four pieces!) and the Four Flowers came from the boot fair at boot fair price ;D.  They are both in perfect condition as well 8).

Pip - that's exactly how I feel about a lot of other glass.... like the things I've listed for ID over the weekend!

Emmi - don't be daft, you must know that it is impossible not to go out (if you physically can, that is) and look for glass.  You just never know when you're going to stumble on something really nice - like a Sky Blue knobbly ;D.

Tim
Tim

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 01:26:51 PM »
Nice pieces Tim. I have a penchant for the Four Flowers Variant. It is an enigma...and I love a mystery!

Just a brief note to clarify a point that is often misunderstood. The eBay auction that Lynne mentioned states it is for a Dugan Four Flowers Variant bowl. That's a contradiction in terms. Dugan made the Four Flowers pattern. It was copied by the Swedes and Finns, who made a pattern that is identical, but usually different in colour to that produced by Dugan. The Scandinavian/Nordic examples are very seldom seen.

Then there is the Four Flowers Variant - which is what Tim has. The maker is not confirmed, but I suspect it was made in Europe (possible England). I do not have proof absolute. I've spent considerable time researching this pattern, and you can read a few bits below.

Article based on the presentation and display we did at the Carnival Glass Socitey (UK) in 2005
http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/FFV.html

Article where I try (probably in vain) to dispel a myth or two
http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/MythFFV.html

Old article on wwwcga's website where I wrote about a survey I did into "finds" of the Four Flowers Variant.
http://www.carnivalglass.org/education/fourflower/index.asp
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 01:40:02 PM »
Yes, Tim, I am daft, in fact.........just got to rush.....have a feeling that my local Charity shop has got just the piece I am looking for............BYE eeeeeee   Emmi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand