No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vase/Rose bowl? Burmese glass? Age unknown...Help  (Read 889 times)

Offline selina

• Members
Vase/Rose bowl? Burmese glass? Age unknown...Help
« on: November 05, 2007, 12:03:21 PM »
I recently purchased this vase or rose bowl? From overseas, not in Australia.

Ive been through my limited glass books and cant even manage to date it or even figure out the type of glass. Fingers crossed someone can help. I thought it may be burmese glass? but its more apricot coloured going up to pink. Quite large.  18cm high x 12cm across. Only thing on it that glows under the UV is the pontil part on the base. Applied feet. Any help would be wonderful and also how to clean it without damaging it. Soapy water hasnt done much. And it seems to be cold painted so Im a little wary of the cleaning anyway.

Selina
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Vase/Rose bowl? Burmese glass? Age unknown...Help
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 08:06:23 PM »
If I had to guess I would say Czech/Bohemian. It look to have been produced in the same way as Burmese ware by reheating - the reheated bit of uranium glass shows that. But I don't think that you have to have uranium to create the shading - I think it's the gold that causes the colour change and bone ash the opaque effect. It looks more like an opaque amberina glass.

Where is it dirty?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 11:14:41 PM »
Hi Chris :)

Thanks for your reply. It just has some marks on the outside, its dirty on the inside too. It just seems to have an overall grubbiness. The paint has been applied, not cold painted as I thought.

From what I understand its been sitting on a shelf for quite a few years. The glass is satiny and smooth. It has a soft feel that makes you think that it would damage easily with cleaning, scratch easily. My first instinct is Victorian, with the thorned feet and top. And I agree Bohemian as I thought the painting had a Bavarian folk art style to it. But then I dont know much, thats why I come here :)

Selina
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 07:44:15 AM »
I would try something more powerful on the inside, like a shower cleaner, or a soak in clothes washing powder. With satin glass you can scrub quite hard, but only on the bits without painting. But it does seem to absorb the fine dust. You're probably about right with the date, although it could be as new as the 1930s, some of these styles hung on for ages. But there again I could be wrong

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand