No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is it or isn't it by Michael Harris?  (Read 10052 times)

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
Re: Is it or isn't it by Michael Harris?
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 09:43:13 PM »
Hi all,
Looks okay to me too -- judging by the images posted. However, I'd like to have seen more of the 'Harris' before committing 100%. The 'H' looks a little odd, but these are by far the most commonly found object produced at IOW and signed by MH, and signatures do vary. From what I've seen, these multi-coloured 'plinth' paperweights tend to be very rare unsigned - it seems like he signed almost all of them.
If someone was going to fake an MH signature, I'd think they'd do it on a vase or similar, as that would raise the value more than on a paperweight.
Still, jolly good find for a bargain price! Over the past few years, values have risen to as much as nearly £100 for large and colourful examples (particularly a striking blue and red swirl), but seem to have averaged out at the ranges quoted below right now (as dealer prices). Personally, I rather like the orange!!
Hope this helps,
Mark
www.markhillpublishing.com
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline lddlsa

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 12:28:30 PM »
Hi

Many thanks Mark Hill for your reply and I take note of your comment about the 'H' etc.  Rather than trouble Max with posting more photos I will take it with me next Sunday to the Cambridge Glass Fair as mentioned previously.

David E, thanks for expressing an interest in my fused work.  I have sold 20-25 pieces now, mainly through local galleries, but I am not sure I feel brave enough yet to post photos of my work here yet.  Also, Max kindly posted my photos of the weight for me and had to do strange technical things like resizing what I had emailed to her.  I will ask my 12 year old daughter, she is more likely to understand what to do. :)
Lynne (LDDLSA)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 04:30:51 PM »
Lynne, we do have a separate 'Slumped' forum here , which also includes fused work - but mainly the output from Chance Brothers. Not much contemporary work, so it would be interested to see some examples :)

I know Max has also dabbled in this area for her course work [outted, Max!] ;)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline lddlsa

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 10:53:07 PM »
Hi David, 12 year old daughter is too busy to help at the moment and I have just taken on my first two commissions, not sure if I am excited or nervous at trying to interpret what my clients want rather than making what takes my fancy.

Anyway, come on Max spill the beans, what dabbling are you up to and for what course?   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline lddlsa

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 11:22:15 AM »
I managed to get to the Cambridge Glass Fair yesterday and really enjoyed it, despite being transported there in my husbands 1968 Triumph TR4A sportscar........with the roof off!
Ron Wheeler of Artius Glass was kind enough to look at the paperweight for me and confirmed that it is genuine.  I just love his enthusiasm for IOW glass and I felt myself being tempted to go off into yet another area of glass collecting.  Thankfully, I got myself under control and bought a very pretty Vasart vase and a fairly boring little Vasart dish which has a wave shape which I haven't seen before.
I also collect Nazeing glass,as I live only a few miles away, and I picked up a leaflet about the new museum which I am really looking forward to visiting when I get the time.  I have just taken on my first two fused glass commissions and so I shall be slaving over a hot kiln for a while.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand