No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Steven & Williams - Waved and Venetian Waved  (Read 2314 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Steven & Williams - Waved and Venetian Waved
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 10:33:19 PM »
I think I have a few internally optic-waved items. Must check all my Thos. Webb as I think they used this effect as well.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 12:57:34 AM »
Hello:

To get the internal optic effect for mould blown glass, the glass blower uses two moulds.  The first, which provides the optic effect, is called a dip mould or a spot mould.  The glass gather is dipped into a dip mould that has ribs or some other vertical feature or blown into a spot mould for coin spot or other non-linear effects.  The glass is then blown in the finish mould which provides the final shape.  The optic forms on the inside due to slight differences in glass temperature in the portion of the gather that came into contact with the dip or spot mould design elements. To get a swirl effect from a vertical ribbed dip mould, the glass blower gives the gather a slight twist as he is blowing it into the finish mould.

I am sure that there is somebody in this group who can explain it better than this and maybe even provide some photos/video of the technique.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 01:30:58 AM »
That makes sense, thanks Sid. Have you heard of those terms elsewhere? - Waved and Venetian Waved

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 02:15:34 AM »
Frank:

I have not heard these terms elsewhere for what that is worth.  This type of glass is far outside of my area of knowledge.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 09:19:10 AM »
Thanks Sid.

Patricia, how often did you come across the French version of these terms? One or more glassworks?

Offline Patricia

• Author
  • Members
    • The Curious History of the Bulb Vase
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 02:36:13 PM »
Well Frank, I'm sorry to say that my knowledge doesn't come from glass catalogues at all. Remember when we were at your place and you very kindly let us go through 5 crates of catalogues, that in the end I went home with ONE picture!
My knowledge comes from bulb and garden catalogues where in all my searches only once was refered to the actual maker of a glass ( Stevens and Williams' from 1882 ).
Last week in Utrecht I found a glass with the Baccarat sticker on it and about 20 (club) people jumped, it's that rare (picture available as of next week if anybody is interested).
Back to côtes venitiennes: I have from one French bulb supplier almost the whole series of catalogues complete dating from 1872 till WWII. When I looked up all the côtes venitiennes glasses offered I noticed something funny, they offered them big time around 1883 after which it died down and the second surge was from 1923 onwards. I hope it helps your search, good luck

Patricia
Patricia
► The Curious History of the Bulb Vase ◄
 A new book by Patricia Coccoris

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2007, 02:55:48 PM »
Thank you, in that case we are probably back to it being S&W proprietary.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand