No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Help w/ signed abstract PW  (Read 3338 times)

Sklounion

Re: ID Help w/ signed abstract PW
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 09:09:09 PM »
Hi,
On the basis of something seen on the Mont Blue website, I will ask to see the current output from Beranek, Skrdlovice, next week. I have a meeting just 7km from the factory, so will make a small detour, just to confirm or deny that this is from their current range.
Regards,
Marcus

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mike Morgan

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 03:35:37 PM »
This is just a bump to see if there might be any fresh insights on this and one other unidentified weight.

I started a Flickr photo set with these two weights that might offer somewhat better images.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike-morgan/sets/72157622342040656/

With the other (triangular) weight, I saw a nearly identical weight, except clearly dated '99 instead of '94, on ebay a while back, so I am sure mine was not a one-off piece.

Thank you all.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Sach

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 06:45:43 PM »
Any ideas how it might've been made? The design portion, judging from the bottom view, seems to be a tube of off-white. Perhaps various colors were repeatedly layered upon each other and cut down somehow?

First layer is white or ivory ( could be solid but probably is powder melted over a gather of clear )
then rolled in mixed color frit and melted in
next a a wrap of clear class is applied over some of the frit area
this is then heated and the piece blocked / marvered back into a round shape with a smooth exterior (this creates the "carved out" areas as the clear wrap pushes down into the color below.)
a pair of twisted canes are picked up and melted over the top
finally a gather of clear is applied and shaped for the final finish.

Offline Mike Morgan

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 07:06:20 PM »
Thank you, Sach. As I read your post, I could envision that process making this weight... not an easy feat for a writer considering how little I know about working with glass.

Assuming this weight was planned and not a let's-try-this-that-and-the-other-and-see-what-we-get project, your reply leads me to believe that I probably should be looking for this signature among experienced glass artists (not necessarily specific to paperweights) versus someone who may have only briefly dabbled in glass work. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Does anyone know of any artists that often create these sort of paddle/beavertail-shaped weights who I might contact for advice?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Sach

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 12:19:34 AM »
None of this is technically complex, any glassblower of intermediate skill could have made such a weight.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand