Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > British & Irish Glass

Wedgwood Glass Vase, unusual mark

(1/2) > >>

BJB:
From the same source as the Iittala glasses came this lovely purple vase. It is 10" tall and has the pontil ground out.
On the edge of this is an acid etched portland vase and Wedgwood England.

But I can't find any record of this mark or if it was used for "special" glassware.

Can anyone help me? :?

Barbara

Mod: Pics unrecoverable

Sklounion:
Barbara,
a standard mark for Wedgwood, factory at Kings Lynn, until they became cheap-skates and started using peel-able plastic labelling.
Looks like one of the Rustic Range vases, designed by Stennett-Willson.
Anyone throw up a date for production????
Regards,
Marcus

BJB:
Hi Marcus,

The glass is of good quality and cased, very much a cut above the norm for Wedgwood, even the glass animals are a bit naff :)

I just love the colour, being a Febuary girl amethyst is soooooo me :lol:

Barbara

Sklounion:
Barbara:

--- Quote ---very much a cut above the norm for Wedgwood,
--- End quote ---

No, I'd argue this is a piece from an era, where Stennett-Willson, was still in charge, and absolutely of a design quality consistent with a designer who knew his material. Wedgwood is a distraction. S-W's quality control was good, and you have to assume that until 1979, when he left, Wedgwood's was also. After that.......

--- Quote ---glass animals are a bit naff
--- End quote ---

But these were not designed by Stennett-Willson, but by a ceramics designer, albeit from a very distinguished english ceramics family, Richard Midwinter.

What you have is a piece by arguably one of the giants of modern English industrial glass design. If Gog is S-W, then Magog is Baxter.

Regards,

Marcus

nigel benson:
Hi Marcus,

I'd agree with almost everythng you've said about this piece by S-W, except my understanding is that the 'Rustic' range includes random bubbling throughout the body of the item, and this vase appears not to have any. The mark is, as you rightly say, standard for that period of production.

Kind wishes, Nigel  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version