No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: FBS mark (French, Scottish, Italian & Czech glass) ... Solved - See Post 88  (Read 35613 times)

Online Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Green and White Mottled Monart Art Deco Vase (FBS France c1936)
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 10:30:09 PM »
Hello Patti,

Not a great deal to add, other than to agree with Frank's observation that the FBS mark is almost certainly a retailer's mark. It is certainly seen on a variety of French glass, I had a smoke coloured glass vase with this mark some time ago. It had acid cut decoration and was most likely to have been made by Daum, though I couldn't say with absolute certainty.

On my vase the mark was an acid stamp with the divided circle similar to that shown on the Monart vase on Frank's site, however, mine differed in that there was a second, outer circle, containing the words 'TRADE MARK'.

Interestingly another example of your vase has turned up for sale, see here: http://www.stylefrenchantiques.com/pages/accessories.html
The seller has attributed it to Muller Freres, though I woud question this attribution as firstly the vase is unsigned and secondly the vase appears to have a coloured casing over a white core while the (admittedly few) Muller Freres mould blown opaline vases which I have handled have always been in solid uncased colours.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 10:48:27 PM »

I have found another one here Maker unknown.  :-\ I am not giving up!
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 11:09:05 PM »
Excellent Della. What is now needed is a US trade directory for Pottery and Glass c1934-36. There were at least two produced.

I have digitised a 1951 Edition of China & Glass Red Book in the Glass Study. (Excluding pottery entries)

Patti

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 12:19:51 AM »
I'll be darned....the shape of the Muller Freres vase is identical to my green mottled one.  That's impressive!  I've never seen anything like mine before so I'm pleased that it has a pink 'twin'!  I'm just sorry there wasn't a price listed for the pink vase.  Just curious, you understand!

I stumbled on your board through a google search on Monart.  I had seen so much information but no one really to contact so this looked like a nice place to search for answers.

I appreciate the input you all have sent.  I'm not a collector of much of anything unless it's Greyhound (dog-not bus) related and then I turn around and sell it on Ebay to raise funds for adoption groups.  So, while I think the vase is interesting, I don't plan to keep it.

Are you all in England/Scotland?  I'm in Springfield, Missouri USA

Patti

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 09:56:35 AM »
The US trademarks database reveals this for FBS, but note the first use. Probably a red herring
G & S: RETAIL DEPARTMENT STORE SERVICES AND MAIL ORDER SERVICES OF SAME. FIRST USE: 19540802. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19540803

but it wasn't filed until 1971 and is now dead.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2007, 10:06:48 AM »
It might not be a red herring, do you have a link to that db?

But then we have to assume wrong date info above. Trade mark information is usually more reliable than memory.

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2007, 10:12:11 AM »
Hi Patti, we are worldwide family not just the UK. The members of this board spread from US across the globe to Australia and New Zealand!
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2007, 10:55:19 AM »
Here's thelink If it doesn't stay valid go to the root then search trademarks, basic search. It's on the last page of answers or search for regd no 0964411

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2007, 11:31:28 AM »
Thanks,

I could not find a specific note about the coverage, but it appears to be from around 1970. thus earlier registrations that have not been renewed since are not shown. Same problem with EU searches. The only solution is a physical visit to one of the US search facilities, any one in Arlington VA?

Remarkable though, how many FBS registrations there have been! :-\

Patti

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2007, 06:42:34 PM »
On one of the posts on this thread, there was a link to the "StyleFrench" store in West Hollywood, California.  On their website, they have a picture of a pink vase that is identical in shape to my green vase.  The site indicated that the vase is a Muller Freres.
I called the shop and asked  where they found the information that is is a Muller Freres since the vase isn't marked.  I was told that the style of vase was fairly common in France in the 30's and that the information could be found if I just Googled "Muller Freres".
I did that last night and couldn't find a thing that resembled my vase.  I didn't have the pages translated that were not in English, so that may have been why I couldn't find it.

Not sure if that is any help to you all or not.  I don't speak French and the gentleman with whom I spoke had more to say, but I just couldn't understand what he was saying.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand