No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Piano rest/ insulator with maker's mark  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: Piano rest/ insulator with maker's mark
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 02:12:45 PM »
I just added the word "insulator" because I believe that is what they are called in the USA. :)
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 03:00:54 PM »
I came across two of these (different sizes) with the same mark this weekend and one of them had the additional marking "made in France" and "Reims". So I would think it is by VMC/ Verrerie Mécanique de Champagne in Reims, famous for champagne bottles and promotional ashtrays...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 03:36:28 PM »
Strange you should come up with that interesting fact, Ivo, as when I wrote my reply I wondered whether it could be a modern Continental version of an old design, like the modern French version of the Davidson dome flower block.

Anne, your insulator seems to be a version of the Dawkins insulator, made by Percival, Yates & Vickers for Thomas Dawkins of 4 Little Warner Street, Clerkenwell, London EC, probably piano makers / dealers, regd. 8 July 1859.   It later appears with a concentric ring base, which might be by Sowerby, possibly early to mid C20, and then with a cross-hatched base like yours, unmarked on the upper surface.

I've had all three of these lined up together, and, apart from the bases, they are indistinguishable.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 04:31:04 PM »
Ivo - you are a star :hiclp:  I had another look at the markings using a lens, and lo and behold, just above the letter M  are two small lines which are parallel to the the V shape at the top of the letter M which I hadn't noticed before.  These are not joined, but to all intents and purposes, would form the letter V immediately above the M i.e. VMC/Verrerie Mecanique de Champagne as you state. :hiclp:  Hope that makes sense :)

Thanks too Bernard :hiclp:.  I've got several piano rests in the garage somewhere and will compare this one to other similar "jelly" shape ones just for interest.  I know some of them have concentric ring bases.  This particular rest is in superb condition and if I didn't know better I'd say it was new.  Most of mine have bruises or various degrees of damage because they've obviously been used. 

Something that's always niggled me, are these still being made today or are they a thing of the past?

;)

Anne E.B

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 05:31:41 PM »
If you don't want to keep them Anne, they sell, even damaged, particularly when you put insulator in the title. Most of mine are happily living in the USA - except the uranium ones

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 10:05:37 PM »
Thanks Christine :)  It's going to a good home ;)
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand