No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I have just bought this and am curious if anyone knows the maker..  (Read 10204 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: I have just bought this and am curious if anyone knows the maker..
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2007, 06:57:36 PM »
David, Bernard was just probing our analyses not doubting our veracity and ultimately bowing to the combined wisdom without partisanship. Perhaps it is just a question of style....  8)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 08:30:44 PM »
I'm delighted that my post has generated this discussion!
I'm only a very happy dabbler but I would like to know how it was produced. When I get it home ( hopefully without becoming 2-D in the process) are there certain areas which I should try to photograph which would help?
I'm sort of kicking around an idea that the flat surface has been resting on a metal plate when the whole sheet was heated and that that might give the horizontal the texture... :-\
I cannot wait to get my hands on it!  ;D

Hi pamela, was just going to try and contact you. I'll try and message you, haven't done that before so please be patient... oops you're there again. I'll post this and try to get in touch ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 09:27:45 PM »
In my opinion, this is definitely slumped from a sheet of window glass. I think David is spot on, as we should expect, given his expert knowledge of kiln forming.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
Aine/pronounce Onya and Gert dropped in and the table they shot at Lauritz is fabulous, really! I feel happy with them :chky:
Thank you for visiting, it was my pleasure to receive you!
Big hugs !
Aine, what we all need and want I think are photos of the underneath textured top - right?
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2007, 01:04:21 PM »
Thank you Pamela, you are way too kind!
It's a truly amazing collection you have,   :clap: I was just blown away.

we got it home safely and here are some pictures, taken while the sun was still shining. Unfortuately the sun went before I could get the underside photographed  :(
It is 10 mm glass and the total length i.e. from folded corner to folded corner is 140cm. Table top is 122 cm Total width corner to corner is 70 cm, whilst actual top is just 62 cm.
It didn't weigh nearly as much as I expected, in fact it can be quite easily lifted. Inverting it is not quite so easy  ;D

Table top: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9022
Close up texturing on upper surface: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9021
edge and side, these "marks" appear at a few irregular intervals and only along the long sides http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9023
corner where the glass almost seems to have been "pulled" downwards: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9024
and another one of the corner, just different lighting: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9025
 look forward to hearing if anyone has any more light to cast on it!

In the meantime, have a Very Merry Christmas!
with best wishes :st:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2007, 02:31:18 PM »
...any more light to cast on it!
  ;D

The texture is not on the sides or legs?

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2007, 02:43:14 PM »
Hi Frank, no, the texture smoothens/fades out just before the glass curves/pours down to form the sides and legs. Sides and legs are completely smooth.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2007, 03:05:08 PM »
Which implies that the sheet was made with an untextured section, I could believe some smoothing at the curves but not on the flat areas. If the glass was made especially for these tables presumably quite a few were made. Are there any markings anywhere? Particularly the metal legs.

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2007, 05:19:41 PM »
Not a sausage.  :'(
My instinct says that the legs were made specially for the table..
Another thing, the upper surface is not completely flat, it undulates very slightly all over because of the structur/texture underneath. Could they have done this?
1. Made a sheet which was textured in the middle on the upper surface. Next..
2. Turned it over so that the texture was on the underside. Next.
3. Placed it on a rectangular frame( material as yet, unknown) and heated it.
that way, the upper surface would be acceptably smooth and even.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2007, 11:14:15 AM »
I have seen these tables with those legs before, I believe they are made by a particular company.

The slump could also have been a lift, I have no idea if they had to heat the whole sheet and work quickly around it lifting, or pushing down, the edges. Or if they could work around it heating it more locally as they go.

If heating the whole thing and not using a flat former, I presume that can lead to the undulations.

Texturing a section is feasible, the pattern most probably comes from a roller. You can by panels with such textured centre sections.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand