No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Are there too many glass fairs in the UK?  (Read 5891 times)

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Re: Are there too many glass fairs in the UK?
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 11:40:31 AM »
I'm jealous!  :mrgreen: You guys are lucky to even have glass fairs!
We have nothing like that here. I live in the biggest city in Australia & sadly the antiques scene is very small. We have a big antiques fair once a year that is full of ultra expensive stock (as a collector on a budget I stopped bothering to go) & the rest is all small fairs & markets where one generally sees the same old stuff over & over again.....
No wonder most of what I buy now is off the internet!
Think yourselves lucky for all those glass fairs-what I would give for just one!  :(
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 01:27:38 PM »
I don't mind paying a reasonable entrance cost either - I think a fiver is reasonable for most selling events. Anything above that and it has to be something pretty special to make me go.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 02:00:50 PM »
I think a few of the general antique fairs are noticing a significant drop in attendance - Swinderby now has a free day and Newark does half-price tickets if you print a voucher from the fair organiser's website.

But I do begrudge paying to get into these things, especially the larger ones. Each stallholder is paying between £150-400+, and there are, at peak season, around 1,500 stallholders at these events. If you can't run at a profit when each of the larger fairs is raking in a minimum of a quarter of a million pounds from stallholders for a 2-3 day event, then clearly you're doing something wrong.

I do know a lot of dealers who are having to quit the fairs, though, purely because they're so uneconomical these days with the increasing fees, the dwindling customers, and the competition of the internet and eBay. It was shocking how many of the sellers at the last fair I went to earlier this month were selling up and shutting down. My shop site's starting to take on a fair few consignment pieces from local dealers who just can't shift their stock out in the real world anymore.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 03:01:02 PM »
People are spoilt for choice, so far though, some dealers have not really made the transition to the new business model needed as a result of the web. The few times I have been in the UK at the same time as one of these, I have not found it attractive enough to travel to them and without doubt because I can spend more time making a decision with a web purchase. In any event, I prefer general fairs as there are other things to look at than just glass.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 03:21:27 PM »
People are spoilt for choice, so far though, some dealers have not really made the transition to the new business model needed as a result of the web.

Several of the more traditional fair dealers I've chatted to as I meander round the fairs do regard the internet with suspicion, and the general concensus amongst them is that the 'net is a silly fad and eBay is for "crooks and amateurs" to quote one of them. But then these are the people who've been hauling the exact same nondescript and/or hugely overpriced stock for the last 2-3 years.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2007, 11:57:38 AM »
Well I can only speak for myself and my hubby but we won't visit any fairs that require payment to get in - I just can't get my head around the need for charging visitors. I'm not charged to walk around a department store or shopping mall so I can't see why I should have to pay to visit a fair.  There are, fortunately, plenty of really good general antiques fairs around here we can visit that don't charge an entry fee.  If I were just a general collector then paying a fiver entrance fee probably wouldn't be a big deal but, as a dealer I can spend that fiver much better elsewhere.

Free entrance to these events would undoubtedly have a positive effect on the numbers attending.

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2007, 02:11:37 PM »
Hi, The Plus points of buying from fairs for me are...........   You can handle and if lucky buy that special piece of glass at a LOWER price than Ebay. I love haggling and you don't get that on Ebay unless there is a " Make offer " .
 There are no postage costs which easily covers the cost of admission and lastly there is the meeting up with friends and all the chat.  Usually more time spent chatting about glass than looking.
 Regards Patrick.   
PS. See you at the next Cambridge fair.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2007, 02:45:46 PM »
Patrick - good points, but you can handle the glass and not have to pay postage costs at all the free fairs I go to.  So anyway, yes have fun at the Cambridge and I'll have fun at Kempton Park :-)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2007, 03:23:49 PM »
I remember that discussion from way back in the Alexandra Palace fairs. We used to be in the car park by 6am and you could start stalling up at 8 with no public entry until 12. Needless to say there was a LOT of car park activity and plenty of people would just turn up for that then go home. The public only had to pay a nominal few shillings to get in and the argument was that it kept people that were not serious out. I found this stratification irritating as I considered the public, not the trade, as my clients and never sold before midday. As the organizers realised that the public were coming because of the Fair's good name, they started increasing the door prices and that fair quickly nose-dived. They also introduced a dealer ticket that gave entry at 8 o clock. To stop dealers booking a table and leaving BEFORE 12. So I blame the organisers for getting greedy. When I first sold at that fair I could be certain of taking at least 1,000 pounds often closer to 2, but the last few fairs the table prices rose, public admission rose, and the takings collapsed. By the late 80's I had given it up and it had turned into a really trashy fair.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2007, 02:38:50 PM »
Hmm, I see this topic has wondered somewhat from the original question, partly, I assume as a result of my comment about entry costs at the Dulwich Glass Fair, or the TGCF - what a mouthful when translated into the confusing title 'The Glass Collector's Fair'. See also flyers for Gaydon which proclaims 'The ORIGINAL National Glass Collector's Fair', hence possible confusion as well as lacking a snappy title. Perhaps that's why the latter is more often than not referred to as either 'Gaydon', or even 'Birmingham' as a reference to its former location.

IMHO the Dulwich Fair failed to promote itself through an inability to gain editorial to back a rather strange advertising campaign in a number of up-market magazines, including 'Elle Decoration'. Virtually no trade promotion and no trade advertising. Why ignore a tried and tested route - used originally to great effect by the promotors of the Birmingham glass fair based at the Motor Cycle Museum (Gaydon) and now by the Cambridge Glass Fair?

I understand that the idea was to reach a wider audience that had not been introduced to glass for the Dulwich based fair, but why throw the baby out with the bath water? Without effective explaination of what the uninitiated might expect to see at the fair the advertising was all but bound to fail!

Exhibitors pay for a stand at any fair and by so doing they effectively share in the risk taken by the promotor, agreed on a smaller scale, but nevertheless a share. If that promotor makes mistakes then he, or she, risks that share .... but without any control on the exhibitor's part. Therefore, it is important to know that the promotion of a fair, however large or small, is going to produce a reasonable to good gate - which is what I can expect at Cambridge, and presumably at the fair announced by those organisers called 'Reflect', which is to take place in London in June 2008.

Does that mean it is bound to fail because, as Graham asked at the beginning of this thread, there are already too many fairs? None of us can truely answer that, especially as it is a new venue, but the organisers track record suggests their input will increase its probability of success.

Strangely the question about too many fairs was not being asked when the Woking Glass Fair existed, in fact Cambridge was in the same situation as Dulwich is now - recently started. And look what happened there.

The question I believe we should be asking is NOT are there too too many glass fairs, BUT rather how can we convert a larger proportion of the population into the joys and qualities of glass? At present only a tiny part of a percentage are interested in glass. Surely it is not impossible to increase this percentage, even if only by a tiny amount? I believe that the key to that is by promotion, by dealers, fair organisers and glass organisations, but also by the support and evangelising of collectors.

Promotion by fair organisers costs time and money and they are entitled to reclaim that cost, unless they are doing it for love. Like anybody else, if it is their living, it is a necessity that they charge for that work. The usual equation for this is that the stands pay the overheads and the gate gives the profit. Depending upon the organiser the profit can be built in before the doors open, or it may be that the gate determines break even. I know of examples of each scenario.

Lastly, since there has been discussion about fair entry, I will say this, the old expression 'You pays ya money, and ya takes ya choice' comes to mind - but by not paying think about what you miss seeing, handling and maybe even buying!! Not to mention a singular lack of support toward a subject that one is interested in and which helps produce new collecting (and therefore dealing) areas within the subject of glass - which we all benefit from.

Happy collecting and dealing in 2008 to everyone. Nigel   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand