No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Candleholder and what else? - ID probably = Skruff  (Read 2466 times)

Offline glassmagpie

• Members
Candleholder and what else? - ID probably = Skruff
« on: December 26, 2007, 02:40:58 PM »
Is there anybody out there who can suggest who this piece may have been made by please. The central candle holder has got a little candle holder held in with a sucker thing, I don't know if this is original or not, I would think so, it stands just under 17cm high and the bowl is 21.5 cm diameter at its widest point.  It is that sort of smoky teal colour similair to that used by Riihmiaki. 

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Candleholder and what else?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 08:51:11 AM »
Riihimäki would be the first, Reijmyre would be second, Boussu would be third and "probably German or Swedish" a good fourth.  It does not look stable enough to use for a candle, anyway.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 10:41:51 AM »
This looks very similar to, although smaller than, my amethyst one, labelled 'Swedish Art Glass'.  See here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,13260.msg86558.html#msg86558

Leni

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 01:29:35 PM »
I would tend to agree with Ivo's second suggestion of Reijmyre - purely based on the colour.  I've never seen this exact colour used by Riihimaki but I have owned a couple of items by Reijmyre that seem to match this.

Offline yelooc

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 09:44:08 PM »
These can be found in two sizes and to date I have found 3 colours; indigo, amethyst and clear. They sometimes have the Swedish Artglass sticker which was the sticker of G Hardy and Co. the UK importer (also of "Venetian Art Glass" sticker fame). I believe that most of their stuff was made at Skruffs. The glass is identical in colour to Wuidart imports of the period made at Skruff.

The candle goes in the middle with scented water in the bowl, the metal bit has been added. Very gauche!

Graham

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Candleholder and what else? - ID probably = Skruff
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 06:52:45 PM »
The "Hardy" label referred to is now known to be Hans Geismar, not George Hardy.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline kerstinfroberg

• Members
  • I'm foreign, please be gentle
    • Sweden
    • the Swedish museum of glass machines
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 07:23:47 PM »
These can be found in two sizes and to date I have found 3 colours; indigo, amethyst and clear. They sometimes have the Swedish Artglass sticker which was the sticker of G Hardy and Co. the UK importer (also of "Venetian Art Glass" sticker fame). I believe that most of their stuff was made at Skruffs. The glass is identical in colour to Wuidart imports of the period made at Skruff.

The candle goes in the middle with scented water in the bowl, the metal bit has been added. Very gauche!

Graham

Hmmm -interesting... hereabouts ("Kingdom of Crystal") we often refer to them as shrimp cocktail servers...
Some shrimps get "hung" on the rim of the "candle holder" and the rest of the concoction goes in the bowl.

Hooray for diversity!

(and they were made by several glassworks, it is said. I have no conclusive proof, though)

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
    • 20th Century Scandianvian
Re: Candleholder and what else? - ID probably = Skruff
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 04:19:38 PM »
It's not a candle holder it's a shrimp bowl by Gullaskruf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand