No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian Blue Pearline Wall Pocket -  (Read 3574 times)

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
Re: Victorian Blue Pearline Wall Pocket
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 02:00:57 AM »
Hello again:

I found an example of another wall pocket marked with the Burtles & Tate registration number 39807 at this webpage on the left hand side:

http://www.glassencyclopedia.com/burtlestateglass.html

Now we have two completely different designs with the same registry mark which lends credence to Christine's theory about the registration being for a shape more so than a pattern.  It would be very tidy if somebody could report that they have a marked example of the "Driftwood & Shell" version.  By the way, don't you think that is an unfortunate name for the blue example.  It really fits the canary pearline example on Angela's webpage much better.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 01:10:03 PM »
Quote from: francois
... Shall we settle on B&T, then? ...

Please Francois - A very definite No to that question.   That takes us right back to the Manley dark ages when "Attribution not known" was unacceptable, and if you didn't know, you guessed.   That's not the way we do it now, much to most serious glass collectors' great relief.

On the positive side, of the four or five English manufacturers of pearlines (Davidson, Greener, Burtles Tate, Molineaux & Webb, and, possibly, Edward Bolton, although I think it more than likely that the pearline version of Bolton's Grace Darling boat was made by Davidson or Greener), only three are really possible candidates for your wall pocket.   These are Davidson, Greener, and Burtles Tate.   Molineaux & Webb made very little pearline;  indeed their relevant production, such as the fort series (Rd. 29780) and the two pikes (Rd. 29781) could be described as strongly opalescent rather than pearline, and they are not known in blue opalescent/pearline.

Quote from: Sid
... I found an example of another wall pocket marked with the Burtles & Tate registration number 39807 at this webpage on the left hand side:

http://www.glassencyclopedia.com/burtlestateglass.html

Now we have two completely different designs with the same registry mark which lends credence to Christine's theory about the registration being for a shape more so than a pattern. ...

Sid — Is it certain that both of these wall pockets are marked with the Rd No 39807?   You can see that Angela's wall pocket is marked with a registered number, but you can't see the number.   And you can't see any number on Dave's wall pocket.   Until you pointed out the third wall pocket, I had always assumed that there were just two non-Sowerby English wall pockets, the type that Francois queried, and the BT 39807.   Until now, had I been presented with an unmarked example of Dave's wall pocket, I would have attributed it as an unmarked BT 39807.   Two different fancies with the same registration number is not at all typical of Burtles Tate.

So now we have three.   I think we need more information from the two website proprietors on exactly what they are illustrating.

Quote from: Sid
... By the way, don't you think that is an unfortunate name for the blue example. ...

Yes, Sid, thanks for that, as I too have concerns about collectors' names for old glass patterns.   In defence of the late William Heacock, he did express some concern about these names in one of his books (I can't find the reference at present), so I like to believe that he was very positively encouraged to invent these names by his publisher who could see the financial benefit of making his publications indispensable.   What is rather sad is that Heacock's books were and are indispensable because they are superb reference works.   There was no need for the proliferation of unfortunate pattern names.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 03:28:06 PM »
I have a rose pink opalescent wall pocket with the RD 39807. It is like the one on Angela's B&T page / Glass Encyclopedia.

I also have a blue opalescent / pearline wall pocket like the first one mentioned here ("Driftwood and Shell"). I don't think it has a number - I'll try and check later.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 02:32:58 PM »
At last. I sold a pair of these quite a while back. Now I know what they were!
No retreat, No surrender.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand