No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Biscuit Barrel ID : Sowerby 2477 DURHAM  (Read 6744 times)

Offline sueholm

• Members
    • http://www.rubylane.com/shops/coldwater
Biscuit Barrel ID : Sowerby 2477 DURHAM
« on: March 03, 2004, 03:12:26 AM »
Hi there...I have spent hours and hours trying to identify my biscuit barrel, which I THINK is Sowerby, but it has no mark and I cannot confirm it. Reason for thinking it is sowerby is that one Grandma ( I am 59) was from Gateshead, and the other Grandma was from Newcastle. One of these Grandmas passed on my biscuit barrel to my mother and now to me. The other thing tho, is that one grandmother's maiden name was Davidson. I will put a link here to my item, in the hopes that someone can put me out of my misery!

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/coldwater/item/00053

Thank you, Susan
 am a beginning collector of china, pottery and glass, with a particular interest in Sowerby glass, as I was from North East England

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Problem Pattern
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 03:55:29 AM »
Susan,

I have seen this pattern on other items of table glass.   Unfortunately I have not been able to attribute this design with certainty to any particular glassworks.   Greener made a similar pattern with gadrooning in between the diamond shaped panels of hobnails - Rd No. 81160, see illustration in Thompson p14.

Don't forget that after the golden 1870s and '80s, Sowerby, Davidson, Greener and Moore faced stiff competion from Manchester, Europe and America.   And they sold this foreign glass on Tyneside!   Possibly even to your Grannies.

Regards, Bernard C.
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 08:40:01 AM »
Hi Susan - your biscuit barrel is Sowerby's pattern number 2477 - and was part of their "DURHAM" suite. They made a range of shapes in "Durham" as well as the biscuit barrel: these include a boat, a honey, sugar & creamer and a couple of vases. The "Durham" suite was first introduced (I believe) in the 1930s but was still being produced through the 1950s.

Glen

http://www.carnival-glass.net
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Bernard C

• Members
Ooops
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 09:29:01 AM »
Glen,

It helps to look in the right place, doesn't it?   I am surprised that it is early to mid '30s, just before 2505 Lily & Iris (Sowerby pattern numbers are sequential).   It looks late Victorian.

Bernard C

Anonymous

Durham Suite
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 10:17:06 AM »
Hi Bernard

The earliest listing I can find this pattern in is the 1933, "Illustrated List No 30". That doesn't mean that it wasn't in earlier lists, but it certainly isn't shown in any that I own. Its pattern number 2477 was not actually noted in that listing - it was instead described as the "Durham Suite". (In the same catalog is the 2487 biscuit jar in the pattern suite "Manchester". Likewise, its number was not shown...only the suite name).

Glen

Offline Bernard C

• Members
Refining dates
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 10:49:48 AM »
Glen,

List No. 30 was where I found it, after you prompted me.   This list is dated "December 1933", which is most unusual, as I was always led to believe that a 1933 trade catalogue would be launched several months before the preceding Christmas season.   Sowerby seems to have taken a different approach.

Cottle helps with dating.   It looks as if the 2505 range was launched at the April 1933 B.I.F. at Olympia.   If so, this probably puts the launch of 2477 Durham some time in 1932.

Bernard C.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 02:33:08 PM »
Well, you guys are absolutely wonderful! I can't believe you even pinned down a pattern number. I read with interest that there was a honey jar too, because a honey jar, that immediately caught my eye because of the glass and pattern, came up on ebay a few weeks ago, and it had, they claimed, a Sowerby label. I bid on it, but lost it in the last few minutes! I am so very grateful to you. It is ironic too that it is called durham, for that is where my sister lives, and where I visit at least once a year. I will now try to find other Durham picees. I wish you could see it ' in the flesh' as it is so lovely. It has the look of silk almost. Thank you again. Susan. If you enjoy keeping your eyes open for what others are looking for, please feel free to email me if you see a piece up for sale anywhere. I will put a note that I am looking at another site I know too. thanks again

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Guys?
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2004, 02:47:55 PM »
Hi Susan

I'm a gal :D

Glen

P.S. Sorry Bernard. I simply couldn't resist the emoticon!
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Bernard C

• Members
Gals?
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2004, 05:22:12 PM »
And I'm a red-faced Bernard, being corrected by a gal, albeit a very nice one.   For those who don't know, we are co-authors of a report on a Sowerby covered butter published on the Internet at http://www.carnivalglass.org/butterfly

Bernard C  :oops:

Anonymous

You're still wonderful!
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 03:21:08 PM »
:o

guys...gals....I am still the happy one. all the glass people at rubylane were fascinated to see that I had finally identified it too, and I gave your site a promo too. thanks again susan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand