No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walther Glass Like Moser?  (Read 11390 times)

Offline BJB

• Members
Walther Glass Like Moser?
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 11:29:59 AM »
Hi Glen,

I'm sorry that I hadn't replied to your post, I hadn't seen it :oops:

Am up to my armpits washing at the moment, why do children find out all the clothes they "need" to take on holiday are under the bed dirty and screwed up :cry:

I think I like the bowls and centre pieces better than the Moser like glass items. Not to keen on dressing table sets.

I think I must have lead a more sheltered life than you because I didn't know that they made carnival glass, and until recently thought most of their glass was Bagley or Sowerby :oops:

If Jobling copied Lalique and Bagley copied Jobling, and Sowerby copied Bagley etc etc did Walther come in at the begining or tailgate at the end?

Barbara

(Who MUST learn how to spell Scandanavian :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  wishing there was a spell checker)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 12:05:54 PM »
Barbara - I sympathise with you re. the washing and packing (been there, done it, got the dirty tee shirt  :roll: )

You actually pose a very interesting topic:
If Jobling copied Lalique and Bagley copied Jobling, and Sowerby copied Bagley etc etc did Walther come in at the begining or tailgate at the end?

There was a great deal of plagiarism among the pressed glass makers. Not only were they copying each other, they were also using each others moulds sometimes too. But I think it's not quite as simple as just copying. I personally see it more as a response to public demand and taste. If the style of the moment was, say, all things oriental, then were those who made designs suggestive of, say, peacock feathers copying each other, or were they responding to the stimulus of current style/trends?

What I'm trying to say (probably clumsily) is this: were the glass makers copying each other, or simply coming up with similar responses to common and current style trends? I'll answer my own question - both!

Another thing you mentioned -
I think I must have lead a more sheltered life than you because I didn't know that they made carnival glass, and until recently thought most of their glass was Bagley or Sowerby

Don't worry on this score - most people have no idea that Walther made Carnival Glass. I only discovered it myself about four or five years ago (around the time that I alerted Chris and Siegmar to Walther and Cloud Glass).

They did not make a vast amount of Carnival, but nevertheless it is most interesting to be able to identify items they did make - and in doing so, solve a few mysteries.
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 12:58:25 PM »
Glen

I see on the c/glass site you are credited with providing a photograph of a Walther sepia cloud glass bowl with a "W"..... is there any chance you could post that photograph on this thread please that clearly shows this mark.

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 01:26:58 PM »
Gareth - I don't think the bowl has been firmly attributed to Walther. On the Cloud Glass website I am credited with information about Walther (blame me for spotting, back in 2001, that Walther made Cloud Glass) and also (separately) for a photo of a sepia bowl with a W mark on it. I sent Chris the photos back in 2001. I have the email but I can't find the photos right now. I do still have the bowl and will have to try and get a pic sometime. Below is part of what I wrote to Chris back then.....

I am attaching 3 photos of the inside of the bowl, the outside and also the W trademark. The W is cameo in the center of the marie, underneath. Quite small, but very distinct indeed. There is no pattern or ribbing on the bowl - very smooth indeed

Maybe Chris has the photos somewhere. I'll get another one done when I can
a) find the bowl
b) ask Steve to pretty please take a pic (he is sooo much better than I am at that).

Glen

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 02:33:39 PM »
Hi Glen,

Rushing in after putting yet another load on the line (just glad its fine :D )

I have noticed that alot of Walther glass is mis-attributed on ebay and also "proper" auction houses. In the latter case usually by people who think they know and wont be told otherwise :evil:  (and I have tried)

Hubby has said that if the vase is still there after the holiday AND we can try and get the price down it might be worth getting because of the mark on the  base, a sort of reference for future use.

It would be nice to know which glass factory started the figural craze in the first place. Must be quite scary to make a range of complex moulds and not know if it will be popular or not. I suppose, thinking about it, the glass people copied the bronze and ivory figures which were being made in Germany and France, and made them available for the mass market :?:

Is the Walther cloud and carnival glass marked? I haven't seen any marks on the bowls or frogs I have had.

Barbara

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 03:04:14 PM »
Barbara - Walther's Carnival is not marked. In fact not much Carnival is marked (well, the older, Classic Carnival that is). Northwood marked some of theirs, Riihimaki and Karhula marked some of their CG too. Sowerby...very occasionally, has a peacock. Some of the Aussie Carnival has an RD and some of the Indian made Carnival is also marked. Having said all that - the bulk of Carnival Glass is not trademarked.

I am not aware that Walther's Cloud is marked. I do have a cloud bowl (see above) with a W but no definite attribution as yet (er, I think).

And re. your note:
I have noticed that alot of Walther glass is mis-attributed on ebay and also "proper" auction houses.

I'd add that quite a lot of European Carnival is mis-attributed as well. Not as much as it used to be though, I'm glad to say.

Hope you have a great holiday.

Glen

Anonymous

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 03:54:04 PM »
Quote from: "BJB"
Hi Glen,

Is the Walther cloud and carnival glass marked? I haven't seen any marks on the bowls or frogs I have had.

Barbara

Hi Barbara

Of the 200 plus pieces of Walther cloud that I own or have access to I have not yet come across a single piece that is marked upon the glass....which is why Glens sepia bowl intrigues me.... more so as I am not aware of another manufacturer of the period having made cloud glass in sepia either.

Glen

As you have some 1930's Walther catalogues ( I believe ) have you found this bowl in them. It does not necessarily have to be in the Oralit section as I have pieces that are to be found in other parts of the catalogues.

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 04:25:59 PM »
Gareth and Glen,

would it worth buying that moser like vase for the mark on the base? As so much is unmarked.

Gareth,

What colour do you call sepia, it brings to mind the faded photo's of my late family that are dragged out at Christmas, and all looking as though they are awaiting the firing squad :lol: Why weren't they allowed to smile at least?

Barbara

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 04:31:36 PM »
Gareth - some good news and some bad news. Plus a correction. First of all, I think the bowl is not sepia, but is amber. My apologies. And now the bad news.....I don't know where the darned bowl is. I've hunted through a few boxes but it's not there. We have a lot of boxes - mostly Carnival, but lots of other stuff too.

Now the good news - I have found the photos. Hooray.
http://tinypic.com/8wb69g.jpg
http://tinypic.com/8wb6nb.jpg
http://tinypic.com/8wb6sy.jpg

Now I will go through the Walther catalogues and see if I can find it.

Glen

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 04:45:19 PM »
Let's throw a wild card into this discussion. I have also found a photo (I store them away a bit like my glass. Surprise, surprise when I find them. Nobody can ever accuse me of being organised) of a mystery piece of Carnival that has a W on a sticker.

http://tinypic.com/8wba54.jpg

And now I had better scour my catalogues again and see if I can figure out who made it.

Barbara, only buy the vase if you love it, love it, love it. To test if I should buy a piece of glass I do my own patent "Glen's Walk Away" test. Imagine you're looking at the glass, you want it, but you're not really, really sure. So, mentally, walk away from it. Leave it on the stall where someone else might just walk up and buy it. How do you feel now?

Are you shrugging your shoulders? Then don't buy it.

Are you bereft, wish you'd bought it, can't bear to think of it on someone else's shelf under a spotlight? Then run back and get it. Quick.

Glen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand