No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Just some Glass Bottles  (Read 1457 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Just some Glass Bottles
« on: February 18, 2008, 05:34:35 PM »
Hi, I have these smaller bottles, and little measuring thing.  Two of the bottles say *Listerine* on them, but I was wondering if anyone knows the age of these, since so many things are in plastic now days.  Also have the little glass measurement (for medicine, I believe...) as I recall this from when I was a child, so must have a few years on it.   The other little glass thing, i remember from when I was a kid...do not remember what it was from, but I know my Mom used to keep toothpicks in it on the stove.  Any ideas of age, etc., on anything here?  TIA
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Re: Just some Glass Bottles
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 06:50:02 PM »
Can you get any information as to the history of listerine on the company's website? I would think it was relatively old as it has been a while since bottles were molded with the name of the contents on it. (Also, it looks like it would be stopped up with a cork, rather than a screw top).

Again, good luck.

Carolyn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 07:43:23 PM »
The little 'toothpick holder' looks like a baby formula bottle or a meat paste jar, the sort that had a sort of snap-on metal lid

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 03:37:03 PM »
The little 'toothpick holder' looks like a baby formula bottle or a meat paste jar, the sort that had a sort of snap-on metal lid

That little 'toothpick' holder, is ONLY about the height of a toothpick....it is quit small.  I believe you are right, as I know it was from my young days -- but what came in it, I can not recall at all.....maybe.....I am thinking, it is what cream use to come in, just like the glass milk bottles.  I do believe it did have a metal cap to it, and I am (thinking) cream shots.  We used to have a quite a few of these around in the older days.

Yeah, that is what I thought, even though they were LISTERINE, it has been a while that things were in glass....I will try that, the history of listerine, and its bottles etc....or something like that, as I came up empty handed before...googling.

The measurement things is in oz. etc, for measuring....Remember getting cough medicene given to me out of this....and also used a measure *shots*....... :spls2: (no comment....lol)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 03:42:14 PM »
listerine is rhyming slang for anti-american as septic tank = yank and antiseptic = listerine.  :spls:

source: QI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand