No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sommerso a Bollicine - Seguso Vetri d'Arte?  (Read 5206 times)

Offline shandiane78

• Members
Sommerso a Bollicine - Seguso Vetri d'Arte?
« on: February 21, 2008, 12:00:10 AM »
Is that what I have here? I picked this up today in a local shop (for a lot more than I usually spend). The inside is red, then there's a layer of bollicine or pulegoso, then clear with a layer of gold. I'm still waiting on my Seguso book to arrive, so thanks for anything you can tell me!

Shannon

Offline shandiane78

• Members
Re: Sommerso a Bollicine - Seguso Vetri d'Arte?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 05:31:49 AM »
Or...Could it be Venini? I know it's not likely, since the vase in unsigned, but Seguso and Venini are the possible attributions that come to mind for me.
Shannon

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 05:37:36 AM »
Sorry for serial posting...Can you tell I'm a little excited? I did find this piece which looks to have similar technique, and has been attributed to Venini (don't know if it's signed):

http://www.mossonline.com/product-exec/product_id/40894/category_id/266
Shannon

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 05:49:54 AM »
It does remind me of the Carlo Scarpa vase on this page:

http://web.eu-design.net/edn/designer/carloscarpa_i.asp?offset=18

Can anyone put me out of my misery?!  :chky:

Shannon

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 05:56:56 AM »
OK, so ow I'm thinking Seguso Vetri d'Arte again:

http://www.trocadero.com/mt1007/items/667916/item667916store.html#item
Shannon

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 07:15:58 AM »
Hi Shannon It's a beautiful bowl  :mrgreen: Your first link doesn't work, but it certainly looks very similar to the second one. You can add to your posts for an hour I think, rather than talking to yourself  ;D you know

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 07:52:56 AM »
Shannon: Your bowl looks very similar in colour and technique to the bowl on p. 132 of  Venini: Catalogue Raisonne, which is a "Carlo Scarpa, Sommerso bubble vase." Also, I was in a store yesterday that had current Venini pieces very much like the bowl you picture. (Venini seem to be mining the past a great deal as they also had Zecchin vases and Wirrkala "Bolle" vessels. Nice browsing but forbidding prices.) However, I haven't found a picture of a Venini bowl with the shape of your piece, and I wonder about the volume of clear glass at the bottom. (I looked through the Olnick Spanu Collection book, which has a fair bit of Scarpa.) I don't think your piece is much like the Seguso VA piece, which I think is candleholder.

I'd be excited, too, with such a find. I'll bet (hope?) you paid a good bit less than the prices I saw yesterday.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 04:14:14 PM »
Shannon:

I just had a look at the Venini web page and the vases that I saw two days ago are different from your bowl. They are by Laura Santillana and have the colour and gold foil but no bollicine. Your bowl still looks like the Scarpa one, though. Hopefully, somebody who can identify it will come by soon.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 04:28:49 PM »
Tee-hee, I didn't know I could edit my post!  :D Where is the button for editing? I still can't seem to find one.

Chirstine, I'm not sure why the first link isn't working. If you go to http://www.mossonline.com/ you can browse your way to the Venini glass by clicking "decorative" on the home page.

David, I'm willing to bet my price was lower than the ones you saw! It was $128 plus tax. Originally the vase was $160, but (I can't believe this) I didn't buy it that day. I waited a week and couldn't stop thinking about it, so I went back and it was 20% off! I'm just lucky it was still there. It was tagged as "Murano Vase - Rare Form". I know it doesn't look like the Seguso candle holder, but the technique looks similar to me. I also wondered about the amount of clear glass lef at the bottom. I haven't seen that in any of the Venini or Seguso VA pieces I've looked at. It does look like both of them made glass in this technique, so I'm lost as to which it might be (assuming it's one or the other).

Thanks again for you input!
Shannon

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 04:47:17 PM »
Hi Shannon, it's only visible for an hour after the original posting time, to give you the chance to revise something you may have got wrong. After that you need to ask a mod to make any changes for you.  When there it appears next to the Quote button top right of your post. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand