No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass - Dr Roger Pilkington  (Read 7753 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Glass - Dr Roger Pilkington
« on: September 21, 2007, 04:58:04 AM »
Pilkington, Dr. Roger, GLASS, Oliver & Boyd, Edinburgh, 1965.

No. 12 in the Signpost Library of childrens' educational books, 64pp, 2-colour and b/w illustrations, no ISBN or SBN, thread sewn, cloth, d/w.

A superb introduction to glass generally, its origins, and particularly to the history of window glass, as you would expect from a member of the Pilkington family.  It is the first time I have seen such an excellent account of the various methods of making window glass, and I learned a lot from it.   It uses imperial measures, useful today for those who wish their children and grandchildren to have the advantage of becoming binumerate.   Excellent English, with accurate grammar and punctuation.

The three illustrations of stained glass windows being made were drawn from photographs taken at Whitefriars.

It shouldn't be too difficult to find.   I am looking for another (and any others I can find in the Oliver & Boyd Signpost Library series).

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand