No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mosser paperweights and the details of transfer printing  (Read 7278 times)

Offline Derek

• Members
Re: Mosser paperweights and the details of transfer printing
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 07:48:27 PM »
Hi all

Re the process to transfer the picture onto the substrate - glass or ceramic. Looking at my weight again the surface onto which the picture is printed is far from flat. I know very little about printing but I would have thought for processes like silk screen etc an absolutely flat surface was essential in order to get a complete transfer.

BTW the disk in my weight is set just below the maximum diameter of the weight - the diameter of the weight is 90 mm and I estimate the disk at 85mm - it is only a very thin layer of glass around the edges of the disk.

Frank commented that "They could printed in black and white and then hand coloured, this would be virtually undetectable embedded in glass."

If you enlarge the image I sent particularly on the deers body you can see the dots from printing - so at least in the case of my weight it is DEFINITELY not hand coloured.

Best regards

Derek

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 07:52:36 PM »
Frank commented that "They could printed in black and white and then hand coloured, this would be virtually undetectable embedded in glass."

If you enlarge the image I sent particularly on the deers body you can see the dots from printing - so at least in the case of my weight it is DEFINITELY not hand coloured.

The dots still show if it is hand-coloured, it was quite a common way of doing the colouring. The surface does not need to be flat to print on it.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 09:04:05 AM »
The process of transfer printing is (mainly) used for non-flat surfaces, if I understand the description by Guy Massé (my quote above) correctly: the first printing stage is onto some substrate (like paper) - and then the image is "transferred" like a decal.

Yes - Frank - if a b/w print is handcoloured, the dots from the printing will remain - BUT ... I'm sure, if someone during the mid 1970ies (Mosser paperweights) would print something, which should be coloured in the end, he would do a colour print, not b/w and colour it by hand afterwards (unless the aim was to imitate an old procedure for some reason). At least in Germany/Switzerland the last handcoloured postcards were produced during the first few years after WWII.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 09:56:58 AM »
The transfer print was soaked in water and it could then be slid onto the glass/ceramic surface. Colour transfers were really in vogue from the 1950s (although were being made in the 1930s) so I would imagine this paperweight used a colour transfer unless, as Wolf states, they were trying to emulate an early process. I imagine hand-colouring (in a general sense) would have overlapped up to about 1950?
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 05:38:25 PM »
David has got it right,Whitefriars made some shortly before they closed, the transfers came from Johnson Matthey and were made for tiles and other ceramics
I believe they also did items for the royal mint the transfers were heat resitant the blower would make a small opaque white glass button that was allowed to cool down the self adhesive transfer would be slid on and then picked up with a blob of clear glass and then reheated.JP. INFO Courtesy of Ray Annenberg.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 09:02:33 PM »
Let me come back to my questions starting this thread. I have been in contact with the buyer of the item, and he tells me that
1. The M is there - just somewhat obscured by two of a fair number of small bubbles: none of the printing ink had to come off to form the bubbles.
2. The dots from the printing procedure are clearly visible upon close inspection.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline MsMouse

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 02:43:15 AM »
I have quite a few of these weights.  With a loupe, I can see what looks like threads from fabric, extremely fine cross hatching.  Thoughts?

Mosser ppw's are one of my favorite types.  They may not be as "elegant" as some, but I find the artwork delightful.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 07:01:02 AM »
Have you got some photos MsMouse? It might be the same transfer process was used to create this, or possibly silk-screening?
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 08:47:01 AM »
Hi David

Attached are closeups of two areas of my Mosser deer weight - photo earlier in the string.

Deer 1 was taken at the centre of the weight.
Deer 2 taken at the edge

Best regards

Derek

Offline MsMouse

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 03:26:03 PM »
I am at a bit of a loss re: photos, as I have to learn to use a compression program, so that images will be small enough to upload.  That is on the to-do list!  After I return from vacation.  And learn, I will, as I have a few more "mystery" weights about which I'd love comments.

In Derek's second photo, I believe I see the cross hatching to which I referred.  The one I have handy is The Last Supper, and the lines seem somewhat finer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand