No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Need help with stick vase - applied vase - cased vaseline over pink S&W?  (Read 8070 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Only if the comments about the way the foot was formed were really true. I suspect that various English work may well have had an all-over foot style!
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Galle

• Members
Well I don't know if it means anything, but it's fun to post the photos anyway... the seller of this vase had another piece running concurrently with this one - same start and end time, and it was a documented Harrach piece (first pic). Mod: eBay watermarked image removed for copyright reasons

I have one very similar (second pic). The third and fourth pics are of two Franz Welz pieces I have with applied feet - nowhere near as fancy as the vase that is the subject of this thread, however.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Galle

• Members
Thanks to you all for playing, by the way.  :)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Quote from: Frank
Cased means at least two layers, the first gather being cased by the second, they can be different or the same colours. Decoration in between the layers is quite common. Not to be confused with flashed where a decoration layer is applied to part or all of the outside during blowing.

Frank — Christine is doing far better than me — I've lost it completely.   I had thought that casing and flashing were two different glassmaking techniques, not that they were differentiated by their purpose.   Also that casing and flashing could take place inside an object.   Also that gathering happened just the once.   I can see that when the parison (hope that's correct) is returned to the pot for more metal (hope that's correct) to be added, I shall have to learn Italian to find out whether it's a second gather, being cased, or being flashed.

At least I have encalmo sorted out, 100% rock solid.   Iestyn Davies explained it to me.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
We love playing but it's naughty to post pix that don't belong to you, i.e., the first one, so the Mods will delete it. Looks like I'd better post a picture of my thingy because it may be related, but it may have to wait till I have time and daylight.

If the vase is documented Harrach (where BTW?) Harrach looks a better bet than Welz

How come this has become a sticky  :huh: :huh:

Offline Galle

• Members
It is documented as Harrach in Das Böhmische Glas von 1700 - 1950 (Passau Museum Collection), Band III - Historismus. It's a seven volume set of books in German that covers pieces on display in the Passau Museum in Germany.

Sorry about the one pic - the other listing ended long ago, but if I can edit it out , I will.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Here's my thingy - no way is it a vase but I suppose it might be a candle holder - and my teeny jug, both with the internal threading. The thingy is quite heavy and better made than the jug. The green on both is uranium

Offline Galle

• Members
Wow, Christine - that's an awesome object - it's gotta be Harrach. I don't know about the jug, though.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Do you reckon so  ;D ;D ;D . It's 8.5 in tall and impossible to clean, it narrows to one-eight of an inch  :(

Offline Galle

• Members
I do so reckon. :)

Is it verböten to post a scan of a partial page from a reference book here? I could show you the citation from Das Böhmische Glas. If not, then I could email it to you?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand