Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass Paperweights

Strathearn Paperweight

(1/3) > >>

Leni:
Got a new paperweight!  :D

I'm fairly sure it's a Strathearn - will show Kevin & the PCC folk this weekend and confirm - but how do I tell its age?   :?

I have looked at all my books - not a lot in them on Strathearn, to be honest  :roll: - and checked a couple of websites (Kevin's, Frank's for Vasart and Richard More's for later Strathearn) but I am still not sure how to identify which era my new acquisition is from  :(

Richard's 'smugmug' site had so many images that my head was spinning and I didn't know how best to learn from what I was seeing  :oops:

Is there any way of identifying canes from a particular date, other than years of experience handling hundreds of weights?  
Basically, I suppose what I want is something (book or website) which says "these canes are from 19?? to 19?? and then these were introduced around 19?? and these from 19??"  Is there anything like that?  Or am I asking too much?   :oops:  :roll:

Leni

Anonymous:
Bonjour Les Knee

In some respects I think you've answered your own question by looking at the actual images available. Like anything else it is a process of patience and persistence....although not sure on the former but I get the impression you are well stocked up on the latter.....also if I remember correctly from an earlier posting you are fortunate enough to be blessed with instinct
It might help you to go back to Richards site as often as possible and examine and re-examine the weights.
There is a facility provided by Richard, that I've only just noticed today,.....it is that although you click on the image to take you into its own gallery ..but if again you place your cursor over the new image now in the r/hand section you can enlarge it once again so that it displays almost 6" x 6" ... and in my opinion then much easier then to study the individual canes. In the small images they almost become confused by each other and difficult to differentiate.
If at first you limited yourself to the general weights, excluding the dated and signed ones,  on Richards site you might make the task less "overwhelming". Later you can move onto others .... a bit like building block construction.
The same obviously applies to any other reference source until the data base is transferred from the source and into your head....and it will..... which is obviously beneficial if you come across a potential buy when you are out and dont have a pc or book to refer to.
The added bonus of course is the buzz you get from the learning process.
 :)

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

RAY:
a photo would be nice Leni

belive it or not i found a strathearn closepack in a shop in Egypt this week :D

Leni:

--- Quote from: "RAY" ---a photo would be nice Leni
--- End quote ---

OK Ray, here goes  :roll:

http://tinypic.com/9jn9yp.jpg  http://tinypic.com/9jnbbd.jpg http://tinypic.com/9jm0bm.jpg

I think it's a P14 or P15 according to Richard More's site.  It's about 2.5" or maybe 2.7" in diameter, so I think it is classed as medium.  

What puzzled me is the little heart canes.  The Vasart heart canes on Frank's site are shown to be solid, but the hearts in this weight have another tiny cane in the centre of them.  I think you can see one in the picture, or maybe two, but the picture isn't very good - done in a hurry  :roll: - and you may not be able to see the canes in the centre of the hearts.  

Another interesting point is that there is absolutely no green glass in the weight at all.  :shock: The only canes that look green are actually blue encased in yellow, or yellow encased in blue!  

I have looked at 'smugmug' again, until my eyes are boggled - there are over 100 in the F15 category

There must be an easier way to date this weight!  It's not that I want all the work done for me, just pointing in the right direction!  :?

Leni

RAY:
thanks Leni,

here's the one i got in Egypt,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version