No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Antique glass figurine, antiquity - inbetween or repro? Help needed  (Read 3617 times)

Offline alexander

• Members
Re: Antique glass figurine, antiquity - inbetween or repro? Help needed
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 10:26:24 PM »
A fun plate  :)

They sell those beads, or very similar, here - http://www.beadbonkers.com/Whimsy.html
at the bottom of the page.

This bead, not similar to these beads but interesting anyways,
was found right here in Norway in a grave dated to 3-600 AD.
A pretty amazing bead and the text, sadly only in Norwegian, tells how archeologists think this particular bead
depicts either Konstantin or his mum Helena and would have been made sometime after AD290 when K was born.

The beads on this page are similar to mine, especially the hair or top of the head. Here's one from Artemission.

This site features a few face beads and purport to be archeologist run, Virtual Egyptian Musem

I'm learning some very cool stuff about glassmaking and beads in researching this.
From what I can tell the type of beads this figurine has for eyes, or the originals if these are repro,
are believed by some to have been made in Alexandria around 1-200 AD altho evidence appears to be thin.

I also less inclined to think this is a Phoenician or P repro, I mentioned Phoenician as a possibility in
my first post but all the samples I see are Roman or Roman repro.

I've been intrigued by the seeming disparity between the quality of the face beads compared to the body,
I'm going to contact the Archelogical institue of the University of Oslo to get their input.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
Re: Antique glass figurine, antiquity - inbetween or repro? Help needed
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2022, 09:47:04 AM »
Dear all,

in 2006 we visited a "medieval age festival" where every kind of medieval jewellery was offered- one had beads in stone and glass and I picked
three one inch beads, two with checkerboards and flower stripes, and one with faces all around. 2 Euros per piece... 1 for smaller ones.

The face is very similar to the type seen on the 5th picture on the website below,- my bead is surely not 600 years old but well made...

The seller kindly told me that she got the  beads from Java and were made recently as replica under the name of "jatim" beads,
nd there is some newly production in Ghana/Africa but she has run out of that sort...

Please see another website: https://baliqueartsofindonesia.com/blogs/blog/face-beads

and search the net for "face bead" or even better "jatim bead/jatim face bead",

kind regards from Austria, Erhard
EJM

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand