No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: And there's more...  (Read 1848 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
And there's more...
« on: May 04, 2008, 03:25:17 PM »
Yet another respectable eBay seller who has got it all wrong... Baccarat ?? orAntique French lampwork ??.

I have emailed about one item, suggesting that none of their paperweight attributions look right to me.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline alexander

• Members
Re: And there's more...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 04:22:37 PM »
First one I'd guess 20thC Bohemian or Murano, second one is chinese (wrote them a mesage about that one).
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 04:42:07 PM »
I'm not trying to jump on the bandwagon here especially since I am an absolute dunce of the highest order when it comes to paperweights - as Manuel would say 'I know nothing' however it always amuses me when you read statements like this 'I know nothing about paperweights but this is almost certainly Baccarat'

If you know pretty much nothing about something how can you then go on to give an attribution?  I don't believe the sellers in these cases are out to con anyone however - they just believe whatever it is they're told when they buy something and repeat it verbatim when they come to sell.   I've also seen this happen on this board when someone asks for help with an attribution, stating that they know nothing about the item in question and then go on to argue fairly vehemently that it's not what they're then told it might be (especially if they think it's top end and they're told it's modern Polish or Chinese).

The same with the paperweights - they don't know what they are but they're almost certainly the most sought-after, valuable and collectable type - does one ever see a seller say 'I don't know much about weights but I reckon these could be modern Chinese?'.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 05:11:51 PM »
Pip, you make a very interesting point. Many sellers, whether professional dealers or just collectors, do not have encyclopaedic knowledge and rely mainly on the story that came with the piece. If they bought it in an auction described as Whitefriars, then they will sell it on as Whitefriars. In most cases there is no intention to mislead. People just say whatever it is that they have been told either by the person from whom they acquired it from, or by people they have shown it to. "It must be very old because my grandmother is over 70 and her mother gave it to her"  Thought bubble: so presumably your great-grandmother bought it new 15 years ago!

As for those stories that come with the piece, some of my earlier work is beginning to appear in charity shops and at fairs so from time to time I hear some wonderful stories about myself and how I made a particular piece and I often wonder whether I have missed entire chapters of my life!! ;D
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 09:13:50 AM »
I see that the seller has now correctly indentified the Strathearn bud vase, after my email to them, and called the Chinese flower a 1930s weight rather than antique French. But we still have a Murano style overlay called antique French.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline m1asmithw8s

• Members
    • http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/m1asmith/
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 01:54:12 PM »
That Chi weight is modern.

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 02:33:55 PM »
How do you tell the modern flowers from the old ones?

I have a couple of the older chi millefiori but none of the flowers
(or check that - I have one sitting in London waiting to be picked up by my dad sometime in the future ;)
So haven't been able to study that one much yet.

When I wrote the seller I mentioned it was probably made "between 1930 and last week"  ;)
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline m1asmithw8s

• Members
    • http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/m1asmith/
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 01:33:36 AM »
Modern Chi flowers as shown above have poorer workmanship overall and the green leaves are paddle like in comparison to their 1930s counterparts.
Additionally, the central canes in the modern versions have solid yellow rods as opposed to hollow yellow tubes in the 1930s examples.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 03:25:41 AM »
I've bought from this seller before. I've dropped her a line to see whether that helps.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand