No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hiya all.  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Pete

• Members
Hiya all.
« on: May 09, 2008, 07:00:10 PM »
I'm new to this site and hope I can get some help in the future. Spent an hour or so going through the forums and found it friendly and informative. I (as a hobby) pick up items at Bootsales and Charity shops and hope I get lucky (don't we all). I have found some scandinavian glass,the odd small WF and a piece of Etling, I think it was called. I like glass but still have a home that is not glass friendly  ;D
 I hope to post on here in the future and pick up more knowledge as I am a real beginner.  To be going on with could someone tell me why a vase I have has a 'bubble' in the base and not a pontil ? Will post pic if needs be. Thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Galle

• Members
Re: Hiya all.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 09:32:55 PM »
It sounds like a piece where the pontil mark is ground out and the dimple is polished - resembling a half bubble. It's an extra step to enhance the aesthetics of the piece. Is that what it looks like?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Hiya all.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 10:51:25 PM »
Hi Pete and welcome!  :)

We do really need a photograph, although Galle has made a valiant effort to assist you here.  :) You can find a help topic here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html if you would like to know how to upload photographs to this board. 

We look forward to seeing your glass!

I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand