No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Walther Lamp base?  (Read 10148 times)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Is this a Walther Lamp base?
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 09:56:43 AM »
And on a separate subject, I will fully endorse what Gareth said re. museums and their knowledge. They are not infallible. I have seen many misattributions by museums...and oh yes, books too! Shock. :shock:

EDITED TO ADD

Oh and another thing.....unless one is sure, sure and then sure some more. Simply write PROBABLY made by Walther. So much more accurate. I would certainly do that re. the items that we have not yet seen illustrated in the Walther catalogues (eg the Nymphen candlesticks). The dresser tray is there, the jar is there, and you can bet your bottom dollar that the candlesticks were theirs (as part of the set) but if you add the vital "probably" then you can never be wrong  :lol: . JMHO

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
Re: Is this a Walther Lamp base?
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 10:09:27 AM »
Quote from: "tigerchips"
I have a large pressed glass Art deco sailing ship on Ebay. It's the same colour as the lamp base and it's frosted too.

For information on this, you may like to see the "Ships from Bohemia" thread.

Glen

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 10:09:44 AM »
Quote from: "Glen"
Yes, only the tray....but they HAD to have made the candlesticks too, surely!

I'd have thought so too, (and don't call me Shirley!  :lol:  :wink: ) but I think it was the candlesticks that the man at Broadfiled House was referring to.  The fact remains that they definitely came in two versions, mermaid with one arm up and mermaid with both arms up  :shock:

Whether one version was Walther and another somebody else, I don't know.  I am sure he said the moulds were passed around in the area from one factory to another over a period of time, though I could have mis-understood him  :shock:  :?

Chips, your mermaids have one arm raised, as had mine.  

Here's a close-up of her http://tinypic.com/a2ab0l.jpg
Anyone here got a pic of the both-arms-up version to compare?

Leni
Leni

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 10:18:00 AM »
Well, the moulds certainly began with Walther, and then were used again after the company became nationalised (became VEB Saschenglas). Maybe they re-cut the mould for the mermaid stick, that would explain the change. A bit like Sowerby remaking their Covered Swan mould.

I can't imagine a scenario where these moulds were passed around various companies. I think it's just Broadfield House's euphemism for saying they are not really sure who made them but they think it could have been Walther.

August Walther and Sohne; Sächsische Glasfabrik August Walther & Sohne Aktiengesellschaft; VEB Saschenglas.

Glen

Offline Morgan48

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2005, 10:24:04 AM »
Hi Gareth - it's not easy to spot. In fact I'll add some info about date of manufacture.....we can include right up to 1953 when it was made by the Walther merger company - Saschenglas.

Grab your 1936 catalogue..... find the dresser trays. There are three together: Waltraut, Amsterdam and Nymphen.

Shown again in 1953 in a group of three: Shamrock, Nymphen and Pierette.

I use a magnifying glass (makes me look like some sort of sleuth  :lol:  or is that a sloth  :lol: )

Glen[/color]

Hi Glen
Yes as I said I found the tray........... maybe the answer to this is that the catalogues are in themselves incomplete.... although you'd have to then say that this would have been extremely counter-productive marketing.
The Pierrette set does have c/sticks and most of the other pieces ( although not all) and then theres the very excellent Sonnenfisch set.. particularly the magnificent round tray, a lot like Escher..... but like the Nymphen there is very little else shown available to be able to put together a complete dressing table set.
I do very much agree with you saying ...but surely there had to be the c/sticks too.... absolutely.... the alternative makes no sense.... like a 3 wheeled Ford Focus :roll:  :roll:

Why a magnifying glass???....  :shock:

Regards

Gareth

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2005, 10:27:25 AM »
Quote from: "Morgan48"

Old age  :lol:

Glen

Offline Morgan48

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2005, 10:30:15 AM »
Quote from: "Morgan48"

Old age  :lol:

Glen

Yea me too...and some... but do you literally mean sticking a magnifying glass in front of the screen. What program do you open the catalogues in????

Regards

Gareth

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2005, 10:35:10 AM »
Have just seen a mermaid set on ebay with both arms raised, and IMHO the mermaid is much prettier in this version!   :shock:  :?  

In fact, I might say she looks far more like the mermaids on the lid of the bowl and on the tray!   The 'waves' around the base look very different, too.  Could this mean that the one-arm-up mermaid was made by another company?   :shock:  Or that the different versions were made at different dates?  Have Glen and Gareth checked other dates / catalogues?

I am intrigued by this thread!  Bet Chippy didn't know what a can-o'worms he was opening  :wink:  :lol:

Leni
Leni

Anonymous

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2005, 11:11:13 AM »
Quote from: "Leni"
Have just seen a mermaid set on ebay with both arms raised, and IMHO the mermaid is much prettier in this version!   :shock:  :?  

In fact, I might say she looks far more like the mermaids on the lid of the bowl and on the tray!   The 'waves' around the base look very different, too.  Could this mean that the one-arm-up mermaid was made by another company?   :shock:  Or that the different versions were made at different dates?  Have Glen and Gareth checked other dates / catalogues?

I am intrigued by this thread!  Bet Chippy didn't know what a can-o'worms he was opening  :wink:  :lol:

Leni

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ART-DECO-VINTAGE-VASELINE-GREEN-GLASS-FIGURE-MERMAIDS_W0QQitemZ7340908268QQcategoryZ64878QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2005, 11:13:09 AM »
Gareth, I don't look at the computer screen (although I have been known to use a magnifying glass on the screen  :roll: ). I have a hard copy - had them for some years.

Glen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand