No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: moser intaglio  (Read 2820 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: moser intaglio
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 06:42:58 AM »
Now that surprises me but I suspect it's wavelength thing. I have a few pieces whose unraniumness I suspect, but until I get that Gieger counter...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 08:36:24 AM »
A Geiger counter won't tell you much, Christine!  ::)  My husband has one, and my whole cabinet of Uranium glass doesn't even get a tick out of it!  ;D

However, his old watch face sets it positively purring!  :o 
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 11:25:24 AM »
I think it depends on your counter

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 12:46:33 PM »
Ditto what Christine said.  I'm in a rush, but here's an interesting site, and a quote from it:
When exposed to such light the uranium glows with a very characteristic ghostly green colour, which, once seen, is easily recognised again (Plate 3). There are three problems with using UV light. The first is that it cannot be used in bright “visible” light as this swamps the fluorescence. Secondly, in some glasses, especially those with a high lead content, the fluorescence is so weak that there is an element of uncertainty. Thirdly, I have found examples of modern glass with yellow fluorescing agents, which glow much the same as uranium. The other method is by the use of a Geiger counter or other suitable radiation-detecting instrument. This again is not foolproof for there are other sources of radiation, which might confuse an instrument. However, the likelihood of this happening can be greatly reduced by careful selection of the instrument. I have found an end-window, beta-sensitive Geiger counter suitable for this work.
http://www.glassassociation.org.uk/Journal/uranium-2.htm

He's very careful in his use of it, sounds like, calibrating it and so forth.

See the photos on pg. 2, plate 2 and 3.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 01:02:22 PM »
Barrie is, he gives more information in his book (which both Leni and I have  :-[) and radioactivity figures I think (maybe)

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 09:38:07 PM »
Christine, Barrie is - ?  And why do you have an "embarrassed" face because you and Leni have the book?

We seem to have two parallel threads at the moment that discuss uranium and Geiger counters.  Would it make sense to talk about it in Bungie60's thread  (http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,21494.0.html), since that started out talking about UV reactivity and the glow from uranium?  My poor little brain is getting addled jumping from thread to thread.

Azelismia, I saw another intaglio vase the other day that had a gold band around the top like yours.  I'm going to have to try to find it again because if my memory serves me correctly I think it was Harrach, who did intaglio very similar to Moser's.  Is yours signed by any chance?
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 02:53:27 AM »
Or the marquetry one, or one of these:  Mod: Link removed as content changed to inappropriate site

Now THAT would be awesome.

I never noticed that they were different.  There are exceptions, but it does seem to generally be the case.

My memory must have failed me.  In Baldwin's Moser book on pg. 125 there's a vase that has band on top a similar to yours.  I don't know if that's the one I saw or what.
Kristi

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand