No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Smoked flat top jug ID Decision ?  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Gilead

• Members
Smoked flat top jug ID Decision ?
« on: June 03, 2008, 06:53:35 PM »
Hi
   Bought this today thinking it maybe Whitefriars but in the mean time i was looking though the web and now think it maybe Kaj Franck.

The main reason i thought it was white friars was the ground polished pontil, and the good quality of this piece, smokey colour stands 315mm or 12.3/8inchs high the top rim is 3inchs across, the base 3.5inchs very polished pontil.

Then i came across a picture of this simular jug, and it said it was designed by Kaj Franck? so now i am in two minds can someone help with this please all i was told from the little collectors shop was its 1960s era, as anyone else seen this jug if please share your info.
                                                                                                                                                                 Regards
                                                                                                                                                                  Steve

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Smoked flat top jug ID Decision ?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 07:01:20 PM »
You say you came across a picture of a Kaj Franck jug that was similar to yours.  I'm not sure that similar would warrant a positive ID - where did you see the picture - was it in a book or a website - it might be helpful to state this info so we can compare it ourselves. Cheers.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 07:09:31 PM »
Sorry Pip,
             i was just looking the web site's for jugs and saw it and very silly did not take the site down will try and find it again,  :-[ i know i should have  ::), have since typed in Kaj Franck, but found nowt like it,
                                                                                               steve

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 07:23:22 PM »
 Rule out Whitefriars . 100%.JP

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 07:47:31 PM »
These are constantly on eBay misattributed to Holmegaard as "rare" Gulvvaser with handles.  ::)

My own suspicion is that they're probably Polish, c.1970s-80s. Their overall quality and the colours I've seen them in are much the same as the small Krosno cream jugs widely available with a Whitefriars misattribution on, yep, you guessed it... eBay.

See:
Small Jug
Your Jug

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 08:07:11 PM »
Hi johnphillip.
                   JP ? and Nic thanks for the link, have been looking though Whitefriars mistaken ID's and found one on there which also says it was attributed to Kaj Franck so am now even more confused  :huh: :hb1:well not that bad yet  ;D cheers both.
                                                                                                                                             steve

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 08:23:40 PM »
In many cases, the alternative attributions on WF.com are often just best guesses, rather than anything written in stone.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 06:21:59 AM »
So many companies used a ground and polished pontil mark that it can't be considered an indicator of Whitefriars. All it says is that you have a piece of hand finished glass from a company that made/makes the effort to polish as well as grind - Whitefriars was just one of those companies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand