No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Decided My Choice Of Collecting. (Whitefriars)  (Read 7233 times)

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Re: Decided My Choice Of Collecting. (Whitefriars)
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 09:05:44 AM »
By the way, Patrick, nice candlestick, is that for us to make on Whitefriars Day? Tricky one but not impossible!  ;D
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Craigyboy

• Members
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 09:44:22 AM »
Hi Steve, This is the stuff you should be devoting your efforts toward........... ( read the comments )
http://www.whitefriars.com/isit_contents.php?ID=5668

All best wishes,
               Patrick.

Absolutely stunning! From a golden and somewhat ignored period in Powells history. An incredible find given it's age which is partly what makes it so rare. Lucky on both counts.

Craig

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 10:21:49 AM »
HI Patrick,
              No offence taken, i am just starting my collection, and will no doubt want to buy or find something from the early part of WF.

At the moment i tend to be going for the bark effect i missed out on a pyramid recently, but managed to get this nice Coffin, think it maybe Pewter but am not sure as the colour keeps changing in different light i have photo, along side a blue one but it seems more, gray please take a look and let me know what you think.

Am waiting on a sage knobbly also a couple of streaky ones, have got my eye on a tv vase, so keeping my fingers crossed, many thanks all for the kind comments and encouragement with my collecting, it's appreciated.
                                                                                                    Steve.

PS sorry it is the one on the right,

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 11:24:49 AM »
So true, Adam!  :clap: I learned NOT to say (as I used to  :-[ ) "I don't like Whitefriars" when I discovered the sort of WF glass Patrick likes and discovered I like it too!   ;D 

And then of course, there's my favourites - those wonderful swans   ::)  But you don't want to start collecting them, do you now, Steve?  >:D 
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 11:50:11 AM »
Twenty years ago people collected "Powell" and the trend for 60/70s simply did not exist much of the earlier work represents the finest in English glassblowing and can often be found more cheaply than the modernist pressed stuff that seems to have captured the imagination today. Trends change and in 10 years things could be very different.

On the other hand I find the more pragmatic approach to collecting glass today greatly superior, in terms of human value, to the connoisseurship that is has largely supplanted. The modern collector is also spoilt with the high volume of research that is now so widely available.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2008, 12:45:13 PM »
Hi Pip,
On reflection my comments were a bit negative. I was probably trying to say that I find the Whitefriars of the 1930-40 period much more pleasing. I cherish any finds not for there value but to see the skill of the glassblowers that were not driven by the need to ' Churn it out for the masses ' as in the 60's 70's.
Steve, My comment has probably irked you as well as Pip and I apologise. Good luck. Patrick.   

No explanation needed Patrick but thank you anyway. 

I do find generally, and this isn't a criticism of anyone merely an observation, that there is a certain amount of negativity in some circles towards the output of the the 1960s and 1970s.  I remember when I was a lurker to this board (before I had the confidence to participate) reading a comment by one member which was on the one hand extolling the virtues of a particularly (in my view) frilly and fussy piece of turn of the century glass and on the other almost rubbishing the output from the previous 50 years.  I am a big fan of the 1960s (in almost every way including music, fashion, architecture as well as pottery and glass) and mass-production isn't an issue for me if the design is good - however a piece of glass that has been laboured over long and hard doesn't appeal if the design is, to my eye, fussy, fiddly and old-fashioned.  Horses for courses.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2008, 12:52:28 PM »
BTW Steve, your coffin vase looks more like Indigo to me rather than Pewter.  But they are quite difficult to tell apart sometimes in photos due to the lighting.  Emmi

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 01:06:10 PM »
HI Emmi.
            I have been looking over WF.org for the past hour and i had come to thinking it maybe indigo, but am still know the wiser so decided to take a few photo's out side to see if it made any difference but again i can not tell, all the same i love the colour, got to get a tangerine one now and green so will be on ebay again tonight.

Hope no one minds if i put up some more photos.
                                                                   Regards.
                                                                   Steve.

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 02:07:50 PM »
It's a mine field out there! i came across an old book i have today, with a page devoted to Whitefriars, it shows a black and white photo of cut glass decanters, a paperweight and a millefiore inkwell, dated 1978.
I had forgotten all about it.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2008, 02:43:18 PM »
I have always gone for the early W/Fs as most of it is hand formed difficult to forge and looks great,about ten years ago Ray said he could have me making a drunken brick in about half an hour and said the prices were mad and at that time were about £150-200 .I feel the older pieces will soon have their day and start to rise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand