No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: terminology: coralene, enamel, frit (split from Dartington vase thread)  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Fascinating video, Ivo.  Thanks for the link  :D I remember doing stuff like that myself back in the '70's when my kids were young.  Also, I also had a friend at that time who owned a little kiln, and she and her husband used to make hot enamel jewellery!   

I guess I would say the cold enamel is as much 'enamel' to me as cold-cast bronze is bronze!  ;) 

However, I have since that time seen many examples of glass workers using powdered glass to marver in colours to a glass item they were making.  I am honoured to have watched made (and subsequently bought  ;D) one of Adam Aaronson's 'Landscape' vases - http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/Adam_Vase.jpg - the surface of which is deliberately left slightly textured, with partially melted colours as you can see.  Then only last weekend we watched Siddy Langley making a paperweight, which I photographed and have put in my gallery here - http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=668 - where the colours are internal, being totally melted into the surface of the weight and then cased in clear glass. 

If I had been asked, I would have said that these pieces involved the use of powdered coloured glass.  I would never in a million years have considered them to be 'enameled', nor the products used in their creation to be 'enamel'!  :o   

But then I am ignorant, and not afraid to admit it!  :-[ ::) 

I'm basically just 'Jo Public' I guess!   ;)
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
We are all ignorant when you consider the amount of hunan knowledge and even just about glass, Leni. That is why all of us discuss things here. Will this debate change my use of the word enamel though, I doubt it. All of the terms I use were either learned from glassmakers, mainly Scottish, reading to much books and forums, and of course discussions like this. I can also irritate everyone quite well  >:D As someone once said,
"Frank should stick to his wonderful websites and keep his mouth shut" 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
"Frank should stick to his wonderful websites and keep his mouth shut"
;D ;D Somebody once said much the same to me too, in a GMB discussion a few years ago!
KevinH

Offline krsilber

• Members
We are all ignorant when you consider the amount of hunan knowledge and even just about glass, Leni.  I agree!  There are certainly many more things I don't know about glass than those I do!  ...I can also irritate everyone quite well  Me too!  But you've never irritated me, Frank.  Very few people in this forum have.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
I will one day!

Offline krsilber

• Members
No doubt!  I'm sure I've been a bit irritating on occasion. ;D  As Ivo would say, get used to it! >:D ;) ;D

do you think I'm so ignorant that I don't have a right to disagree? 

I couldn't possibly comment on that

Why not?  You've already commented on it (what was meant as a rhetorical question), leaving us wondering just what those italics imply.  What keeps you from going further?

- cold enamel : decoration technique for glass using a (usually matt) paint which is not fired on and therefore will wear off with time.
This doesn't sound like the epoxy resin "cold enamel" that a search brings up and which was used in your link.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand